plant&prune
Newly Registered

How to get an early start?

When I was a little kid my dad always grew herbs. He did it in pots outside the back door of our East Northport home. He loved these things. Treated them like pets and some home he kept them alive through the winter. Being a kid I never paid much attention, but they were always there.
Last year, for the first time and in fond memory of my dad, I decided to plant an herb garden on my backyard. I didn't want to plant pots, so I picked a small area of my garden and planted a variety of herbs in the ground. I planted the regulars. Parsley, sage, rosemary and time... some oregano, basil, lemon, mint, spearmint... It was beautiful. It filled the yard with wonderful aromas.
Anyway, with winter starting to give way to spring, I'm still not yet sure if any of last year's plant survived the winter. I wanted to get an early start on the herb garden this winter, and I was wondering if anyone had some good pointers about what can be planted now, or when is a good time to plant and in what order....

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

[quote="plant&prune"
Last year, for the first time and in fond memory of my dad, I decided to plant an herb garden on my backyard. I didn't want to plant pots, so I picked a small area of my garden and planted a variety of herbs in the ground. I planted the regulars. Parsley, sage, rosemary and time... some oregano, basil, lemon, mint, spearmint... It was beautiful. It filled the yard with wonderful aromas.
Anyway, with winter starting to give way to spring, I'm still not yet sure if any of last year's plant survived the winter. I wanted to get an early start on the herb garden this winter, and I was wondering if anyone had some good pointers about what can be planted now, or when is a good time to plant and in what order....[/quote]

It looks like maybe you are zone 6 in Long Island? That would mean the sage, oregano, mint, thyme with luck and decent conditions should have been able to survive and come back. If so and if you are having spring-ish weather, you should start seeing signs of new growth. Go look at them closely. If you aren't seeing new growth, snap a sprig and see if it looks green inside. If so, it is alive and will probably come back.

Rosemary is not cold hardy and needs to be brought in for the winter. Unless you had a very mild winter, I doubt that it survived. Parsley is a biennial. That means it should come back now and then go to flower/seed this year and be finished. Basil is an annual and needs to be replanted every year. I start mine from seed indoors, end of January for red and purple basil, mid February for green basil. You might just want to buy some basil plants once all danger of frost is past. Any of the perennials that didn't survive you can replant. If you are going to start from seeds the time to start them is now, if not sooner! :)

plant&prune
Newly Registered

That is great advise. I will go check my garden today and better assess what is going on. Over the last 2 days working in the garden a lot was blooming but not much was happening in the herb garden. Thanks again.

plant&prune
Newly Registered

They appear to be slow to start compared to some of the other plants in the garden, but I looked today and there appears to be a lot of life in my herb garden. It looks like I'll just have to be a little more patient and wait a few more weeks to see what comes in and how hardily. Thanks

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Agree with above. Don't be too hasty in giving up, as some are slower than others to show new green life. I like to wait until things are really happening to go back in and clean and freshen. I like to clean up the bed, work in any leaves, weed and add some fresh dirt, and cut off last years dead stuff on the plants. Then stand back and see how pretty it is! As for parsley, use that 1st growth in your cooking, then start with fresh plants.

Next month as the plant starts are coming into your garden centers, you may pick up a couple new ones to try. But be forewarned, the garden centers get in stuff before time to plant! As for new ones (to you), a suggestion is to look at it, do a Google, and check in with this crew. What is cute and pretty in a 4" pot may be a 4 ft plant, or something major invasive!

As a warning, this can be addictive. There is no known cure or 12 step.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I like to mark my rows and my plants with markers. Metal or wooden stakes with tags work good for me. In the spring I don't worry I just wait and see if anything comes up where the plants are located. By the time weather is nice enough to plant the rest of my garden I will know if the herbs are still alive. If they come up fine, if not I will plant another plant in its place.

Parsley and Savory will both survive down to 25 degree weather with snow. When it gets colder thet die and comes back in the spring. I bought some 5 gallon fish aquariums at yard sales $2 each if I put the glass aquariums over my herbs they will live all winter. I am not sure that is good for the plant I think some plants need to take a rest for a few months before coming back in the spring. It is nice to be able to pick herbs all winter. Basil is very sensitive to cold it always dies.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”