Susan W
Greener Thumb

MINT!

Let's talk mint! That love-hate relationship plant!
What varieties do you have, like, not like?

I have some of the regular mint which is now in several containers. Also have a large container of spearmint. When tasting the spearmint, the regular tastes, well, almost doesn't, blah.

There is also a container with peppermint. I have to admit haven't used it much, and is not a good seller or even asked for when I am sharing. I am now awaiting major potting up time as it needs cleaned out bad. I figure when that time comes, will divide between 2 pots. Need to dig out, shake most of the dirt off, cut out straggly dead stuff and in general clean it up!

Next winter will bring a couple of mint/spearmint pots in, leave the peppermint outside!

applestar
Mod

What is "regular mint" :?: :?: :?:

I have peppermint and spearmint, and a new applemint started.
Right now most of the mint in my herbal tea mix is peppermint.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have spearmint started from seed in my basement right now, but one of my favorites is pennyroyal. It is intensely aromatic, often used for insect repellant. Also said to keep away mice as well as insects if you put springs in your kitchen cabinets. Wikipedia says:

The Royal Society published an article on its use against rattlesnakes in the first volume of its Philosophical Transactions (1665)

(But maybe if the mice are gone, then the rattlesnakes don't come?)

But if you like really strong mint flavor, pennyroyal is good in small amounts in tea blends. Like other mints, it is good for settling the stomach.

When very concentrated (as in essential oils) it can be toxic and should not be taken internally.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks! I did check the 'regular' mint pots. One has been around for some time. One potted last sesaon has a tag Mentha species. Hmmm! Those 2 pots are the blah ones. I am going for more spearmint (Mentha spicata).

I do have pennyroyal, and will see how it faired when it warms up a bit more. I like to rub some on arms/legs as bug repellent.

As for wintering the peppermint and spearmint inside, fairly easy. Use pot size do-able. I like 10". Clean up in the fall before bringing in. Window light is fine, without extra lamps. Water as needed (less inside than out in sun).

Just checking all of them and pinching the leaves makes one feel refreshed!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Grazed through a box store again today and picked up several herb starts and the cheaper top soil.

Re: cheaper top soil. They have the evergreen brand, comes out of N AL ($1+/bag). I like it as it has enough sand and stuff to drain well, and I add stuff. Add-on can be whatever I have in compost, cotton burr etc etc.

Back to herb starts. Got more chives, mint, sage and catnip. The mint labeled Sweet Mint, Mentha spicata. That is spearmint according to a different grower!
These are in the 5" peat pots, some up to 4 starts (Bonnie brand). I leave the pots out, let dry out. When potting up, tear off the peat planter (throw in compost) separate out plants and pot up.

Odd Duck

Marlingardener wrote:I have peppermint, spearmint, and apple mint. Pineapple mint is an annual for me--I can't keep it going for some reason.
My pineapple mint only lasts if I keep it in a bit more shade than the other mints. It seems to suffer a little more in the heat. My shadier spot is also closer to the house and I suspect it overwinters a bit better with that bit of heat, too. Who knew there existed a mint that's a "pansy"?

And here's to hoping all goes well for your friend. I've heard that ginger is one of the best herbal treatments for nausea.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”