krzyk4
Cool Member

I still have herbs growing!

When the frost hit, I put all my herb containers in the mud room ( no heat but all window facing east) on utility shelves. I have barely watered them because it's usually -20 Celsius or more ... The lemon Thyme, Sage, Oregano, some regular thyme,all the Mints and one Rosemary are still growing and soft. A few other thymes and rosemary are drying out but I just pick it off when needed.

Do you think they will keep growing? Since they didn't seed, can I still grow them from cuttings or how does it work? I'm most concerned about the Lemon Thyme because it's really hard to find come planting time.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The rosemary is the one I would be most concerned about; it's not hardy even in my location, much less yours. I bring mine indoors for the winter.

The thyme, oregano, sage, and mint are all hardy for me and I just leave them in the ground all winter. We do get occasional below zero temps and are below freezing most of the winter. They do flower and set seed every year. The mint also spreads pretty aggressively by runners.

krzyk4
Cool Member

Thanks for the help. Honestly, I am shocked that anything is still alive! I will try to root the plants and see what happens.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”