Susan W
Greener Thumb

Chives

Have any of you wintered chives to have fresh all year? I have some outside, and let die back come frost, shoots up lots of new green come spring. In doing a not totally thorough google search last fall, looked as though it needs to have a couple months rest, then let new shoots come up, divide clumps in spring.

So , l I left mine out. Our 1st real hard frost is around Thanksgiving. We did have several days last week of above 40 (low), and shoots were showing. Brought 2 pots in before this cold mess. Regular chives showing pretty, and the garlic chives not far behind. Plan is to keep in during these cold spells, and roll out on my new cart when temps are higher for several days running.

I guess question is has anyone kept them green 12 months (bringing in/greenhouse) or should I give them a rest.

soil
Greener Thumb

we have chives most of the year around. I think we might not have them for december and thats it, but have dried chives just in case. I find that in the winter they grow a lot more in the shade vs the ones in full sun for some odd reason. the plants I have in the sun are dormant right now, yet the ones I have in the shade have been putting on new growth for the past month.

I divide them in december if I can.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks Soil for sharing your experience. I am thinking for next year perhaps bring a couple pots in for 6 wks or so, then switch with a couple that have been outside and rested. Looks like dividing and cleaning/freshening can be done before or after rest time.

Trial and error, and I am great at both!

tinlizzy
Newly Registered

Don't think you can grow for 12 months, do need a dormant period. Having said that if you want fresh chives all year long try this suggestion. Cut your chive into small pieces during their growing season and place chips in ice cube tray, add water and freeze. When you want fresh chives just pluck an ice in the mix and as it melts you have fresh chives in your dish.
Bonnie

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Update on my chives, and I appreciate your comments.
I brought 2 pots in, 1 regular, 1 garlic (10-12" pots) with 3 clumps each about 2 wks ago at the end of a warmish spurt. They were starting to show new and took off like crazy! I even brought some pretty fresh chives to my restaurant today. The chef there loves it for a salad dressing and perhaps some garnish.

We have a few days running pretty. 60's high, and getting up above 40 low. I rolled them out on my new cart for play time in the sun. I had enough potting soil etc to divide and work one pot. I divided each of the 3 clumps, and was surprised at the depth and breadth of the root system. Put 3 of the divides in a new pot, worked the other back into old pot with some fresh dirt (potting soil). I'll work the other pot tomorrow.

Next fall/winter, plan to bring a couple pots in before frost, then switch out mid-season (Jan) with a couple that have been dormant outside. That should give a continuum. I am using the 10" pots for this as they are easier to work inside.

Hey, I'm excited! Got to play with the hand cultivator and trowel. What can I say!!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

The chives I divided, potted and refreshed soil are popping up new growth just in 1 week's time! Need to divide the other pot, also has 3 clumps.

We have had a week + of pretty weather, and lows no lower than mid 40's. Some days cloudy and over cast, but figure real light and air better than inside.
Still outside for their play date on the deck (coming in tomorrow for a few days)- chives, basil, bay tree-let. The mint and tarragon should do fine pushed back against the house for the 2 colder nights (30's). I gave them all a good watering with fish emulsion added.

There are about 20+ basil starts, green and purple. Finally, after a month showing true leaves. They are outside during these pretty days.

applestar
Mod

Your gardening season is well on its way, Susan! :D
Your progress reports are making me want to go sow some seeds! :wink:

I have garlic chives that can be left out in the garden and grow with no care, but I've never grown regular chives. I do like them on my baked potatoes, but I've been substituting onion and garlic greens. I wonder if I should include regular chives in my gardening repertoire.... 8)

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Apple, I checked the chives I have. I got them as starts last spring. The chives are Allium schoenoprasum. They are smallish, thin stalks, well, chives! The garlic chives are Allium tuberosum. A bit larger than the regular, but have more flavor without being strong. The one chef I have been working with likes the latter for his salad dressing (I think it is a ranch type dressing). Now, I have some larger more coarse chives growing here and there in the garden, and they spread! Said to be garlic chives, but more broad leaved and not as pretty.

I looked up the garlic chives (google), and they are also termed Chinese chives. Used in Asian cooking, and from Asia.

As for selling, I am going with more of the garlic chives. Great for salads, baked potatoes, sandwiches, soup garnish etc. ...talking about this is making me think I need to fix something with chives!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”