Imperialboy

Popular Herbs + How to Grow?

I just want to make a few extra dollars from this.
What herbs are most popular to sell? As starts.

And are there threads, websites that teach you how to grow them well? I'm been out of gardening for awhile.

I'm in Zone9 California.

froggy

Depends if you are looking to sell them dry or fresh.

Fresh can be a bugger, but if you can get the logistics down, it may be worth it (quality herbs may sell to gourmet restaurants, and I am thinking your climate might support year round crops in a greenhouse).

As for myself, when I buy I stick to the basics, chives, basil and rosemary.
I usually grow my own when I can, but I end up trimming them just before I want to use some and then there isn't any....
I also like fresh peppermint, now that one's like a weed, so once you've got it started and happy getting rid of it is more of a problem ;).

If you're into dried herbs, lavender is always a good one, rosemary again, maybe some teas...
I'd think it's a completely different market though....

As for places to learn how to grow them... No idea, I usually just plant and observe - no guaranteed outcome though...
I'd say just research each herb you're looking at, there are bound to be literature as to soil, water and lighting requirements....

Oh, and you might want to have a look at what other people are selling and find a niche that is different (make it organic, or whatever is the catchy food phrase of the year ;) )

Good Luck :)

Imperialboy

Alright then
Basil
Chives
Rosemary
Lavender

I'll try to grow them organic. Gonna all be in pots though. Any estimated size they'll get up to for pot sizes?

Halfway
Green Thumb

Deep Water Culture (Raft) hydroponics system to allow for the fastest growth possible for the least startup expense. Maybe $30 for 8 pots/stations system.

T8 or T5 flourescents if you are solar deprived. Use 6500k bulbs as the herbs do not require the red spectrum. Pay no more than $10 each for 48 inch dual shoplights and about $2 per bulb.

Grow area between 60 and 78 degrees.

Fresh herbs are very cheap in the big supermarkets, so I'm not sure of a market unless it is niche with select restaraunts. Our basil is much better than store bought, but again it comes down to the market.

I am no expert, just sharing what I know about herbs in hydro. Good luck to you. :)

TinaK
Newly Registered

Who do you think will be your buyers? If it is Gardeners, they might want either 4" plants or 1 Gallon plants. If it will be restaurants, you might want to plant them in large 10 Gallon pots and cut fresh bundles to sell from them and the plants will continue to produce again and again.
Some other staples are Cilantro and Italian Parsley, either flat leaf or curly.

Imperialboy

Halfway wrote:Deep Water Culture (Raft) hydroponics system to allow for the fastest growth possible for the least startup expense. Maybe $30 for 8 pots/stations system.

T8 or T5 flourescents if you are solar deprived. Use 6500k bulbs as the herbs do not require the red spectrum. Pay no more than $10 each for 48 inch dual shoplights and about $2 per bulb.

Grow area between 60 and 78 degrees.

Fresh herbs are very cheap in the big supermarkets, so I'm not sure of a market unless it is niche with select restaraunts. Our basil is much better than store bought, but again it comes down to the market.

I am no expert, just sharing what I know about herbs in hydro. Good luck to you. :)
Alright I have shoplights I've used from past years.
Curious about the hydroponic system? What is that? I did a quick search and found like 5gallon for $275?

Imperialboy

Anyone have tips for how to grow these?
Basil
Chives
Rosemary
Lavender

And a materials list? What soil to use, size pots, etc Etc

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The information on these is all over the forum. Be sure and use good key phrases in your Search; for example,

growing basil
basil conditions

and so on.

Cynthia
/mod hat on/

Imperialboy

cynthia_h wrote:The information on these is all over the forum. Be sure and use good key phrases in your Search; for example,

growing basil
basil conditions

and so on.

Cynthia
/mod hat on/
I'll search and post back here if I need further help.
Thanks

Imperialboy

When I should begin herbs indoors? (From seed)
As well as tomatoes and vegetables?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

This is the kind of information to Search for here in the forum.

Cynthia

Imperialboy

Couldn't find when to start indoors, so I posted back here
I live in Zone10.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I suggest you revisit the three pages of information I and other members of this forum provided you in November.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171882

You have stated you live in "Zone 9" and now "Zone 10" and the "Bay Area." There are at least four Sunset climate zones in the nine-county Bay Area, each of which has its own peculiarities.

This will all require work and time on your part; none of us knows your precise growing conditions, budget, etc.

Cynthia H.

Imperialboy

cynthia_h wrote:I suggest you revisit the three pages of information I and other members of this forum provided you in November.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171882

You have stated you live in "Zone 9" and now "Zone 10" and the "Bay Area." There are at least four Sunset climate zones in the nine-county Bay Area, each of which has its own peculiarities.

This will all require work and time on your part; none of us knows your precise growing conditions, budget, etc.

Cynthia H.
No idea on the accuracy of Zones.
https://www.arborday.org/webtools/hortzones/zones.cfm?RegID=473&ZipCode=95148&x=27&y=11 : Zone 8- 10

https://www.garden.org/zipzone/index.php : Zone 8B
https://www.jacksonandperkins.com/gardening/store/DisplayZoneInfo : Zone 9

... So something as easy as figuring out your hardiness zone I can't even do, gardening would be a problem...

Maybe just say I'm in Santa Clara county.
Just read through my old thread. Since that topic was almost all about making money, legal issues and license (What I was looking for at the time).

I think I just need to know what I need (types of soil) and time to start. I'll use old seeds from last year (Unopened in a jar w/ silica gel packet) and try those out. Then buy some more seeds and materials from my local nursery.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Here's just one of the many posts here at THG discussing the Sunset climate zones. There are a couple that run through Santa Clara County; unfortunately, I can't get my book down from the shelf tonight. New dog dragged me down on my right shoulder Monday night, so no reaching up yet!

The Sunset Western Garden Book has the best maps of the Sunset climate zones. Although there are on-line Sunset maps available, they omit many of the twists and turns of the Coast Range, the Sierra, and other geographic features.

One or more of the threads hereabouts has the link, but the one I found has a good description of what characteristics go into a Sunset climate zone and why it makes a difference: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115432

Cynthia

Imperialboy

So what would you reckon me to do now? I'm confused. With all the japanese maples, herbs, tomatoes...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0376038519/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

That is the book you are referring to, correct? About $4-5 used shipped.
So I should refer to: https://www.thevegetablegarden.info/resources/planting-schedules/zones-9-10-planting-schedule for my planting schedule? And Santa Clara would be Zone9?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Personally, I would invest in the 2010 edition. These books are useful for several years, but if I were buying one, especially my first one, I'd want to start with the most recent information. JMO. :)

Imperialboy

This book?
https://www.amazon.com/Western-Garden-Book-Edibles-Vegetables/dp/0376039183/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295498992&sr=1-2

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

No; the one you found the first time (Western Garden Book). Japanese maples aren't edible, to my knowledge, and won't be in the second book.

Sunset figured that another way to make more $$ (IMHO) was to split the Big Book into many Small Books. Just get the Big Book; it's all in there! Much less expensive in the long run. I purchase every *other* edition. Right now I'm using the 7th ed. (2001) b/c when I started gardening out here, the 5th ed. was current. I'm waiting now for the 9th, whenever it shows up. No hurry.

But yes, get the best one you can. It's available at many public libraries, hardware stores, bookstores, garden-supply stores for browsing. The garden-supply people will be able to provide information on your local conditions as well.

Cynthia

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”