Susan W
Greener Thumb

Nasturtium

Not sure if to put this here or elsewhere, but I am serious about Nasturtium (single).
Let me set this up. I thought I was smart to plant a few (container) nasturtiums. Early fall, to have a few blooms and leaves for the restaurant I sell a little to. No seeds available at home, so went mail order, a red and a yellow. OK. Started some in peat pellets, mid August, and put a few, both colors in a container. All came up, pretty, and I moved to some shade to shield from still hot 90+ days. Ones direct sown grew pretty, and grew, lots of green, pretty plants.
By 4 - 6 wks should have sign of blooms. Not! 3 months later, have ONE bloom (beautiful deep red) and a few buds.

I will try again early spring.

applestar
Mod

Maybe they need longer light period? Sometimes you can also compensate for lower intensity light by giving them longer exposure.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I grow nasturtiums on the west side of my house, because they're one of the plants that can perform well in heat. They'll grow just about anywhere where they get full sun, though. I once tried to grow them in an area where they only got morning, from about dawn until 10:30 or so, and although the plants grew reasonably well, they didn't flower at all.

I always direct-sow them. I've never tried starting them in pots and transplanting them, as I've read that they dislike being moved. What I have done, however, is pre-sprout the seeds between layers of wet paper towels. As soon as the tip of the root emerges from the seed, I use a piece of dowel to make a hole in the flower bed, drop in the sprouted seed, and gently cover it with more soil. Almost every seed grows well when I do that. :)

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for input!
I have tried them in spring, and they pooped by mid-June with the heat. This late summer/early fall went on and on and on with heat.

I will enjoy my bloom!

Troppofoodgardener

Kisal wrote:What I have done, however, is pre-sprout the seeds between layers of wet paper towels. As soon as the tip of the root emerges from the seed, I use a piece of dowel to make a hole in the flower bed, drop in the sprouted seed, and gently cover it with more soil. Almost every seed grows well when I do that. :)
That's a good tip. Will have to give it a try one day.. Had no idea nasturtiums did not like to be transplanted. I actually relocated mine, not once but twice! :shock: I guess that's why it died...

Apparently nasturtium seed also don't like light in order to germinate. Which may explain why only 1 out of 10 seeds I sowed actually worked. I had them in a seedling tray under shade.

Try, try and try again I suppose...

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Nasturtium update! The one pot that had a bloom started putting out buds and blooms, mostly orange. Actually this was the pot I had seedlings started in peat pellets. So the plants are busting out, temps drop! Moved pot in and out watching the temps. Then to a new home, south face window and a bit drafty. Figured cool won't hurt, and sun is good. Actually it is double French doors. I did set up a shelf arrangement with several pots of this and that.

The plants have buds, blooming, new leaves etc. But a bit pale. I saw they are light feeders, but did work in some Flower Tone. The organic slow release granular fertilizer. # 3 - 4 - 5. That's low numbers, but still hoping I am not being too nice in feeding it!

Then being tickled by these blooms, started more seeds. what was I thinking!? 2 pots, direct sewn. They are in the basement, stays about 60, some light. In fact keep some big green plants there for the winter. I figure if they sprout will bring into the light.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Update, again! I brought one pot I had planted seeds up from the basement, into more light, and a few degrees warmer. It showed little bits of sprouts, so brought the other one up. Now both are sprouting big time!

applestar
Mod

That sounds great! I always start some nasturtiums when I start tomatoes, and I LOVE the fragrance when I brush against the seedlings :D Sometimes, I can't resist picking one of two leaves to chop and sprinkle in my salad. 8)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Rabbits love them. I eat the flowers and leaves in salads all the time. I got alot of seeds off the plants this past year! They have some nice colors now! Three other flowers I plant in the garden are 4 oclocks , marigolds and cosmos! I also let a few radish go to flower!

lily51
Greener Thumb

I direct sow outside and start in greenhouse& transplant. They seem to grow fine both ways. They do like sun, surviving the sun either in containers or in the garden.

annastasia76

from what I have read (but not from experience, since I still haven't had any sprout) they like to be neglected and don't like too much if any fertilizer. I read that if you add fertilizer then you will get alot of leaves and very few if any flowers.

Tony02905

I've been growing nasturtium for three years now. I always file the seed pods, then just drop them in a pot or pots, cover them with soil and in about two weeks they begin sprouting like mad. They are great for containers and or companion planting in your veggie garden. The aphids go after the nasturtium and a decent spray with the garden hose washes the aphids away. I f the aphids attract lady bugs, I let those lil buggers munch away on the aphids.

I never fertilize or water them to much. Nasturtium and convolvulus do not like to be fed....

Barefoot Herbalist

I've hear that nasturtium grows best in soil that doesn't have a lot of nutrients...I planted some this year, hoping they will come up and do very well... Have fun with your herbs!!!

Troppofoodgardener

Tony02905 wrote:I've been growing nasturtium for three years now. I always file the seed pods, then just drop them in a pot or pots
I'm trying to grow Nasturtiums - again - from seed. I wish I'd read about the filing thing earlier!

The last time I tried them, only 2 out of a whole bunch of seeds sprouted. And then both died slow deaths after I transplanted them from seed tray to garden bed.

Is it true that the seeds don't like light while germinating? I read that somewhere and that's the main thing I'm trying different this time round. Oh, and NOT transplanting them. I've put the seeds in used cardboard rolls to direct plant once they sprout :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, the directions on the packets of nasturtium seeds that I have say to plant the seeds about 1/2" deep, although I often plant them as deep as 1". Either way, that would eliminate most light while the seed was sprouting, I think. :)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I never have any trouble growing them! I plant them direct in the ground or in the greenhouse and no problem! Mine are a foot tall already in my greenhouse! I wish I could grow seet potatoes as easily!

Tony02905

It's not too late to try planting Nasturtium again!

Scarify / file the seed pods in several sections until you can see the inner pod, it will be a light yellowish color..

And yes, plant a lil deeper than 1/2 inch. Natsurtium generally do not like being transplanted. Plant them in containers, hanging baskets or direct into the ground.

Water well..and keep soil moist.. it will take about two weeks so be patient.

If any of the pods do manage to surface don't be afraid to push it back into the soil.

Once they sprout, about two weeks after they will like the picture below. These are Princess of India variety..DO NOT FERTILIZE OR FEED THEM..They like beingleft alone mostly. just some watering here and there..

[img]https://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj148/Tjlance1/DSC01352.jpg[/img]

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Update, again. The ones I started from seed back in Dec up and running. Have been outside since April. Had a few blooms to peddle at the farmers market last week, tomorrow looks like a few more to harvest. Seeing these plants explode, got a couple of starts at the garden center, and potted up. They are in smallish pots for plant, lean dirt, in the sun. I figure try it, and they will be history by late June. (They do not do in the heat and are a short window for us.)

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”