lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Here's what happened to the herb garden

As promised here are some pics of my wife's herb garden, AFTER

[img]https://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/lakngulf/Oct_2010/WV_102110047.jpg[/img]

Here are the culprits:

[img]https://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/lakngulf/Oct_2010/WV_102110011.jpg[/img]
Nutin as good as a kitchen sink mater sammich

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Mother Nature's pruning shears! :lol:
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

A 30-06 with an open sight should remedy the situation and you can eat venison with the herbs.

Halfway
Green Thumb

gumbo2176 wrote:A 30-06 with an open sight should remedy the situation and you can eat venison with the herbs.
A little rosemary and some basil. Fresh lettuce on the side. Oh yeah baby, flank steaks and a bottle of cabernet!

Two more weeks indeed!!
Zone 4a.

tinlizzy
Newly Registered

pictures

Just looking at the pics reminds me of the song, all the leaves are brown and the sky is blue. How about telling the wife to try deer resistant herbs next go around.
interested in organic gardening, and using natural ingredients. Raised bed style, using a greenhouse and cold frame for extend growing.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

try planting rosemary plants alongside the edges of the herb garden, deer don't like the taste and smell and should stay out of it then :)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

When I was growing up my Grandfather always planted about 2 times more sweet corn than he needed. He us to say half that corn is for the deer if I feed the deer they won't eat my garden.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Gary350 wrote:When I was growing up my Grandfather always planted about 2 times more sweet corn than he needed. He us to say half that corn is for the deer if I feed the deer they won't eat my garden.
That's the same philosophy I learned from my grandparents. :)

When I was a wildlife rehabber, we often suggested that people find where the deer trails lead into their yards and then throw a few veggie seeds around. Some of them tilled the areas and planted actual gardens for the deer. The gardens don't need weeding, or the other care one gives one's own garden, but they do help divert the deer. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

ruggr10
Green Thumb

A landscaper buddy of mine mentioned cutting up bars of Irish Spring soap and hanging it around the places you don't want deer to go. He says it works magically. I'm going to give it a shot this year. Mostly though, my 90 pound chocolate lab keeps the deer out of the yard.

Alicemae

Garden Visits

I liked "Grandpa's" theory of grow some for the family and some extra for the deer. Tried that - big mistake! Before long I had a family of deer dining on everything in my gardens! Be careful with that one!

Barefoot Herbalist

Wormwood is your answer... deer, rabbits, moles, etc hate the smell and taste of wormwood. Plant it around the edge of your garden.

Alicemae

Barefoot Herbalist wrote:Wormwood is your answer... deer, rabbits, moles, etc hate the smell and taste of wormwood. Plant it around the edge of your garden.

Interesting ~ I've never heard of wormwood and I've been around quite a while! I'm assuming from this conversation that it is an herb ? Annual ?
Thank you for the information!

Barefoot Herbalist

Alicemae wrote:
Barefoot Herbalist wrote:Wormwood is your answer... deer, rabbits, moles, etc hate the smell and taste of wormwood. Plant it around the edge of your garden.

Interesting ~ I've never heard of wormwood and I've been around quite a while! I'm assuming from this conversation that it is an herb ? Annual ?
Yes it is an herb. It can be used medicanally, but many people use it in landscaping because it is able to keep the rodents, deer, etc away and because of it's silver toned leaves, and yellow flowering tops. You might can find it at a nursery, especially if you have one that sells rare herbs.
The Latin name is Artemisia michauxiana. It is a perennial!!!

Alicemae

Barefoot Herbalist wrote:
Alicemae wrote:

Yes it is an herb. It can be used medicanally, but many people use it in landscaping because it is able to keep the rodents, deer, etc away and because of it's silver toned leaves, and yellow flowering tops. You might can find it at a nursery, especially if you have one that sells rare herbs.

Thank you so much! My veggie garden is about 25-30 ft. wide and 100 ft long - does this stuff spread? Maybe I just need a big dog!! :flower:

Barefoot Herbalist

Alicemae wrote:
Barefoot Herbalist wrote:
Alicemae wrote:

Thank you so much! My veggie garden is about 25-30 ft. wide and 100 ft long - does this stuff spread? Maybe I just need a big dog!! :flower:
Yes most varieties do spread, you can also make a tea out of the leaves to put on your plants to repel slugs and snails...just make sure you don't plant wormwood near anise, beans, caraway, fennel, peas and sage.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”