rsolis251

Sage stem starting to turn brown

Hey I recently got some sage. Its still young, about 6 inches tall. Ive noticed that the base of the stem has started turning brown, and I think it may be spreading up the stem. What cud be the cause of this? Root trauma maybe? I had recently moved it from its styrofoam cup to a proper pot...

applestar
Mod

What kind of soil did you use in the new pot? Sage would want a well draining soil mix at least 30% sand or other material to increase drainage like perlite. Probably no more than 50%.

When watered, the water should soak right down into the soil without puddling and the pot should have drainage holes. Water that drains out should not sit in saucer/drip tray underneath if you have any.

rsolis251

applestar wrote:What kind of soil did you use in the new pot? Sage would want a well draining soil mix at least 30% sand or other material to increase drainage like perlite. Probably no more than 50%.

When watered, the water should soak right down into the soil without puddling and the pot should have drainage holes. Water that drains out should not sit in saucer/drip tray underneath if you have any.
Hey, I used some potting soil, and mixed in some compost and some sand (not 30% worth though... maybe about 10%) It doesnt puddle and it does soak down and there are potting holes. the water doesnt seem to be a problem.

What usually causes this kind of thing?

applestar
Mod

Overwatering and excessive moisture was my first thought. you are letting the surface of the soil dry before watering? it could also be due to fungal infection. It's hard to tell from just verbal description but sprinkling ground cinnamon around the base of the plant and watering with chamomile tea may help.

Another possibility is insufficient light. Sage likes lots of sun.

microcollie
Green Thumb

Is the stem just turning brown or is it getting mushy? As plants mature, they develop more fibrous, woody stems. Could be just the natural growth. Are the leaves looking healthy?

As far as light goes, keep in mind that many newer windows have glass which will block out UV rays...good for furnishings and people, but not the best for plants, which prefer full-spectrum light.

rsolis251

well shes outside gettin full sun. I only water it when the soil seems dry, I stick my finger in it a bit to feel how moist it is.

its definately going up the stem now, and when it reaches leaves, they are starting to turn yellow, they may be dying. It seems like the browning came from under the soil by the roots. Also the parts that are brown seem to be getting thinner than the green stem. Is it possible the roots got damaged or something, and its slowly dying from the ground up?

tinlizzy
Newly Registered

You could try planting in the ground verses a pot. I have never had much luck planting sage in a pot.
Bonnie

lily51
Greener Thumb

It could be root rot caused by overwatering. Roots are damaged, plant starts to turn brown, crispy, so one thinks it needs more moisture, so water more, more root rot, more brown, It's a vicious cycle. I know because I've done it!

Look at the roots...they should be healthy and white. If they are brown, it could be root rot.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”