Chaesman

Salvia nemorosa, artemisia, and wormwood question

Well like I have said before I am new so lots of advice is good. I took my wife to the local garden store today and she grabed some Silvermound wormwood, Salvia nemerosa and some artemisia.. They all must be transplanted and nursed back to health. We will be keeping them all indoors for the winter of course. What is our best course of action in transplanting these successfully and they all have lots of dead leafs and branches on them do I just snip these off?

also the wormwood has a thin dried sprot on the top that to me looks like it has gone to seed. if this is correct what is the best way to harvest these seeds

thanks

Chaesman
Jon

applestar
Mod

I use wormwood sprigs in my herbal moth sachets. I have an extremely dry, hard baked sunny area around the mailbox where it is hard to grow anything, and, so far, wormwood, German iris, and Lambs Ears (Stachys) are the winning combination.

Around here, the wormwood foliage mostly dies in winter and the new shoots start to grow very early in the spring. I give them a drastic hair-cut to keep them bushy and use the trimmings as mulch around the brassicas in hopes of repelling the white cabbage butterflies and imported cabbage moths.

It seems to work for a while, at least. I think if I kept replenishing with fresh trimmings, the effect might last longer. I have a new mound of wormwood starting in my Kitchen Garden, however, where some of the trimmings took root.... :roll:

Chaesman

Thank you for the information on transplanting... They are happily in the ground Outside now.

Also thank you for the information on uses for the clippings. natural pesticide sounds good to me..

Thanks again
Jon

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”