vtown05

Dry or freeze my catnip?

I like to put catnip in my tea and was pruning my catnip the other day and was wondering if it would better to dry or freeze the catnip that I will use for later?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

You may notice a real difference in flavor, Vtown.

I had not even thought of freezing tea herbs until my wife decided to try that with the Lemon Verbena. I was pleasantly surprised how nice and fresh it tastes!

I like catnip dried and use it that way. Fresh catnip, however, is not my-cup-of-tea. . . . so, freezing it is out.

I bet that information isn't of much help :roll: . If you like fresh catnip, you may be quite happy with it rinsed and frozen in plastic bags. You could try it both ways :wink: .

Steve

applestar
Mod

I usually dry catnip and mostly for my cats, but you've got me thinking.... The cats get one little fresh leaf as special treat during the growing season. It would be nice to be able to give them frozen fresh leaves during winter.

Dried catnip is great rubbed or stuffed into toys. :wink:

Also, you both have got me thinking -- I could chop up fresh herbal tea blends and freeze individual mini-muffin scoops (about 2 Tbs @) of them, just like I do with culinary herbs... 8)

vtown05

Applestar, that's a great idea. I have this little mini ice cube tray that came with my mini fridge. It would be perfect for making little tea cubes!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”