Zipfelmuetze

Soil Mites

Hello,

I am attempting to grow Chamomile from seed and I am using old soil that I had in my herb pots from last year. As I put a desk lamp over the soil I noticed super tiny white bugs jumping up and down. I'm not sure how to get rid of them. Should I try to get rid of them now or after the Chamomile has grown to full size? Should I throw the whole thing out and get fresh soil?

Do they even harm the plant? Should I worry about them? I plan on using the Chamomile for tea and tinctures. It won't hurt me if I accidentally eat soil mites will it?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Why not just replace the soil with fresh stuff? I don't grow much in pots, but when I do put something in a pot, I'll just dump the old soil into the garden or compost pile. Besides, unless you've done some fertilizing or such with Miracle Grow or some other such stuff, the old potting soil has likely lost a lot of it's nutrients.

Zipfelmuetze

Aw, your probably right. Darnit, I just wasted some Chamomile seeds! Eh, they are from 3 years ago anyway. I found the pack in a box recently and decided I needed some Chamomile in my herb collection.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

If the seeds are that old and just kept in a box, you likely just wasted more in terms of time than seeds and potting soil.

I've not had much luck with old seeds, but then again, I'm not a real stickler when it comes to storing them either. I generally just buy a few packs of what I need, when I need them. It's not like they will break the bank at under $2 a pack in most places.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”