wesdbenson
Newly Registered

I managed to kill my cilantro...

I'm not sure whether it was because of overwatering (through a combination of myself and Mother Nature), the South Carolina heat, or grubworms. Somehow, all three could have contributed to the death of my little cilantro plant.

I'm in habit of watering my flowers and herbs once a day, for no more than a few minutes each time. A three-day rainstorm hit early last month and then the temperature became sweltering immediately after. One evening I came home from work and my cilantro was flopped over. I watered it a bit and monitored its behavior over the next day.

It never regained its composure. In fact, it actually lost its leaves. I dug up the poor herb to put it out of its misery and that's when I came across the little black grubworm that was apparently living beneath its roots.

I would dearly love to know which factor most likely killed the plant; the overwatering, the heat, or the worm? Or perhaps cilantro doesn't generally last through August in SC? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

lorax
Greener Thumb

I'd say it was too much water as the main cause, followed by the grubworms. I grow cilantro here at 10,000 feet in the desert - heat doesn't seem to be an issue for it - and water it twice a week if I remember to (and once a week, on Sunday, if I forget). It thrives for me.

microcollie
Green Thumb

Sorry about your cilantro.

I have a suggestion for the future, though. Most plants would appreciate a thorough watering less frequently more than a light daily watering. This will allow deeper, more plentiful root systems. Shallow roots are easily damaged by drought, and a constantly moist surface can block the passage of air into the soil and can help fungal and other pathogens get a foothold. Better luck in the future.

thyme2garden
Newly Registered

I would also agree with too much watering. I'm surprised at what lorax said, because as far as I understand, cilantro is a cool weather plant and will grow in spring and fall, but not in the middle of the summer. My cilantro grew really well last fall, but the plants I grew from seed this summer bolted almost as soon as they came up. I'm looking forward to growing more this fall. :-)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Maybe it's different down by the equator or up at that altitude, but I've seen a number of Norte Americanos here say their cilantro just fizzles as soon as it gets hot.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Mine's in the shadiest corner of the garden, next to my lettuces, and it seems to do OK as long as I ignore it. The minute I try to actively take care of it, it dies on me.

I'm also on local seedstock, so I'm working with plants that are already adapted to my conditions.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I know I can't grow cilantro past spring which doesn't make sense. It goes so great with tomatoes that like the heat but cilantro here doesn't like it one bit, bummer.

AS far as your plant going down I would have to say the all three things contributed. The grub was possibly eating on the roots add to that a super soaker than a heat wave. Not the best of environments for cilantro.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

From experience here, cilantro poops in the heat. It may be not only the hot days, but warm muggy nights.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Susan, I think you may have hit on why I can grow cilantro and lettuce with the kinds of daytime highs (mid 100s, anyone?) that I get! It doesn't matter how hot it gets in the daytime here, it always goes down to about 60-65 overnight.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Yea probably too much water. I started cilantro in 8 pots of compost in July I kept them in a pan with 1/2" of water in the bottom it was 100 deg and no rain I was not home all the time to keep watch over them. They got too much water and died. I started over now the 8 pots of cilantro are doing great. I am keeping the soil pretty dry. I hope to have fresh cilantro in the house all winter it that is possible. I plan to set the pots outside every day the temperature is above freezing. An easy way to water plants an monitor how much water thay get is to put 1 or 2 ice cubes on the soil very day and let them melt.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”