Nariko

Bugs and Ants

I am so excited about growing an indoor herb garden, but not excited about the tiny ants and bugs that the basil and oregano are attracting. How can I keep the herbs inside without the bugs and ants? Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

At a guess without much info, the bugs might be aphids and they attract the ants. Aphids secrete honeydew, which is sweet and attracts the ants.

If they are aphids or other soft-bodied small insects, a soapy water spray (soap not detergent which can harm your plants) will get rid of them.

Since these are in containers, putting any kind of powder down on top of the soil surface (talcum powder, chalk line powder, cornstarch, etc) will stop the ants from crawling across it. Powders clog up their spiracles (breathing tubes) so they can't cross it.

Lifestyle Lift Journey

for ants, find where they are coming in the house. They must come in from outside, usually through a little hole on the wall or something. I once had ants came in the house from the gap on the wall where the air conditioning pipe was. Try blocking those gaps. Good luck!

Keithtopia1
Newly Registered

I would say try spraying all around the house. I did that recently with a big thing of roundup. It keeps the ants out, then just kill the ones inside and you are set. At least it worked for me. Also ant traps, they worked wonders in my outdoor garden

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Keithtopia1 wrote:I would say try spraying all around the house. I did that recently with a big thing of roundup.
Are you sure it was Roundup you used? Roundup is an herbicide, I.e. plant killer, not a pesticide. I don't understand how it could be very effective in deterring insects. :? :?:

ACW

Earlier this year I had a containerised zucchini plant with a severe dose of black aphids being herded by some ants .
Solution was keep the tray that the container was in well watered ,that stopped the ants getting back .
then added a lady bug and 2 ladybug larvae to the plant ,10 days later almost no aphids ,as the larvae had eaten them all .
Not had any further problems with aphids on my container growing area .
Guess thats a totally organic solution .

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

All those powder things I mentioned, put across where the ants come in, will keep them out, or you can spray across all the threshholds, windowsills and other places ants can get in with peppermint extract solution. They hate it.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”