Nariko

What is the best Thyme to move thyme and oregano?

Hi!! This is the first year I attempted to grow several herbs. The Thyme and Oregano are growing well. Currently, they are growing in approx. 3in by 3in peat moss containers. How do I know when I should move them to a bigger container? Also, can I keep them in the peat moss containers, or do I need to take them out of the containers? The containers look like they would eventually deteriorate. I'm not sure how strong the roots of these little herbs would be. Right now, these herbs have probably grown an inch or so. Thanks!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I would go ahead and transplant, now! If they are in that peat pot, I tear that off and throw in compost, or back area of yard (it does break down).

I would put both in one pot, at least 12" diameter. Both thyme and oregano spread and fall over the edge of pot, very pretty. Keep them outside, and you may not have green all winter, but the new green will show pretty by Feb-March.

Just throwing in one of my little things. I might have a pot 14" or so. Have the thyme and oregano on 2 points of triangle, and put in chives on the 3rd. It grows up and gives a nice visual dimension.

You didn't say what sun you are keeping them in. Especially where you are, an eastern (AM sun) may be best (over all day).

Enjoy!

Nariko

I put the oregano and thyme on the back patio last night and this morning both look shriveled up. When I transplanted, I used a spoon and went straight to the bottom to get all of roots. I put the "cluster" in soil for new seeds. What do you think went wrong?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

You plants probably got root shock from being transplanted. Keep them watered they should recover fine.

Herbs seem to love hot dry weather. If you live in the Phoenix area your weather is probably not cold enough to kill the plants they should do fine year round. I did a web search and found many herbs like desert type conditions. I know north Phoenix is higher elevation I'm not sure how much colder it gets there.

I have my herbs in pour soil, sand, gravel and dirt mix, it is so dry in the summer grass and weeds will not grow there but herbs love it.

My parents live in Tempe AZ. My mother has some herbs in the yard they do fine year round. My mother planted a plum seed from a grocery store plum it grew a 25 to 30 ft tree in only 3 years and it makes 2 bushel baskets of plums every June.

Nariko

So I started the herbs in small peat moss containers. When I transplanted them outside they did not make it. What is the proper procedure to take small sprouts out of the original containers? Maybe I injured the roots?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

OK, they went from reasonable inside to HOT outside. Bring back in by a window. See if they perk up. Then put out in light shade or dappled until acclimated. Temp shock did a number I am thinking.

I am starting Nasturtium seeds inside now. Is slightly cooler than out 100. Once sprouted and need potted to large pots will do carefully given sun/shade/temps. I am thinking they will reside in my AM shade area.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”