CherA

Is it too late eto grow thyme and oregano now in New England

Hi,
I'm new here as I said in last post, G and like this forum alot!
I neglected to grow oregano and thyme in the pots outdoor this year for seom reason. Can I take seom seeds and grow them out there now? Should I start in little seedling starterrs or not bother or should I perhaps grow them indoors? Don;t have much like starting herbs indoors...I had two hueg rosemary plants all year inside, then replanted and it ended up dying outside even tho it was warm out.. I wouldlike to have the thyme and oregano for use during the fall and winter but it is in Boston and August 5th now so wht do you think? Cher A

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Cher, IMO, a bit late for seed starting. Oregano and thyme both perennial, at least here! need to be going in the spring. Mine go dormant come frost (Oct-Nov), come back in spring (April).
As a side note and confession, I get herb starts from the garden center and box stores. I don't have room or time to do seed starting for what I do, and bypass that. I do a few seed starts for some special stuff, and that's about it.

Let us know how things are working out!

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

No its not too late. Its still 80 - 90 here in MN. To the store ones that are ready for transplant and you will have the rest of this month to nibble on them. Next month too.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”