Spongegirl
Cool Member

Medicinal herbs and essential oils question/discussion...

Hi everyone. I live in Kentucky. I have been learning about herbs, teas, essential oils, and making tinctures this year. I have planted a few herbs that I bought and have seedings for a few more. I would love to see some pictures of some different herb garden designs & I need some good links to information on essential oils. I am specifically looking for essential oils that will cure my baby's ringworm. I can't find a good solid reference. Any ideas?
It is my goal to have every herb that I can get my hands on and grow them all over my 2 acres. I want a medicine field! HA! I want to never have to go to the doctor or buy medicine again.
What are som herbs that will grow fast, spread easily like a weed and take over an area.
What is your most valued herb? Well, I mean, the one you use the most. Who makes teas & what are your favorites? Have teas that you swear by? Do any of you grow & use Prunella Vulgaris? I am VERY interested in this plant.
I've also been trying to start my lavender from a cutting. What is the trick, a really large cutting? Mine aren't tiny but I can't seem to get them to to root.
Please share ideas & experiences!

lorax
Greener Thumb

1. What's the best herb / essential oil for ringworm?

In my experience, there's nothing better than tea-tree oil for it. I'm also susceptible to ringworm when I'm in the jungle, and tea-tree oil knocks it flat on its butt. I don't even have the typical scarring. In the absence of tea-tree, use Lavender and Thyme essential oils; they're slower, but still very effective.

For tea-tree, one neat drop on the affected area, three times daily, until it clears up (usually less than 10 days). After that, you can use it as a preventative diluted at 30 drops essence to 30 mL of carrier oil (I like olive or almond, but jojoba and sunflower also work well).

2. What are some herbs that will grow fast, spread easily like a weed and take over an area?

The mints come immediately to mind, but Calendula, Yarrow, and Raspberry also fit the bill. So do Speedwell (Veronica spp.), Self-Heal, and Eyebright. Oh, and Chickweed as a base for creams. Knitbone (Comfrey) will take over shady, damp areas.

In addition to this, I'd also look into keeping bees - honey and beeswax are both very valuable to the herbalist.

3. What is your most valued herb? Well, I mean, the one you use the most.

Probably either Mariapanga (Piper peltatum), Matico (Piper anduncum), or Sangre de Drago (the sap of Croton lechlerii). This is closely followed by Echinacea, Goldenseal, Arnica montana, Calendula, Yarrow, Raspberry, Black Cohosh, Cinnamon, and Sarsaparilla.

4. Who makes teas & what are your favorites? Have teas that you swear by?

Absolutely! My favourite is probably Horchata, which is a blend of 24 herbs and flowers (if you want the recipe, let me know and I'll post it), but I am also fond of Toronjil (Lemon balm), Yierbabuena (Lemongrass), Yierba Luisa (Lemon Verbena), Mint, Lantana, Raspberry, Cinnamon-clove, Hibiscus, Nettle, Plantain-Matico (Plantago major), Anise, and a chai that I blend myself.

I swear by chilled Horchata for heatstroke and prostration, Anise-mint for indigestion, Chai or Cinnamon-clove for chills, and Raspberry-leaf with Yarrow for cramps.

5. Do any of you grow & use Prunella Vulgaris?

I used to, and now I'm wishing I'd saved seed. It's fundamentally a weed, and as such very easy to grow and harvest. The whole plant in decoction or tincture is the most common way to preserve it; I prefer tincture, myself, as it's much easier to make and more concentrated. But you can also just eat the leaves and young flowers in salads - Selfheal has a pleasant, minty-camphory flavour.

6. I've also been trying to start my lavender from a cutting. What is the trick, a really large cutting? Mine aren't tiny but I can't seem to get them to to root.

The trick is to cut the lavender at the right time of year, before it's bloomed, and to take a fairly small cutting from the tip of a branch. I generally dip mine in softwood rooting hormone, then stick the cuttings in moist peat and put a ziplock tent overtop to retain moisture. They root quickly and easily for me. However, if you took your cuttings from a plant that was in bloom or had just finished blooming, they'll be less likely to take off since the plant's energy had all gone into the flowers.

Hope this helps! :()

EDIT - resources.

I'd reccomend Malcolm Stuart's [url=https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Herbs-Herbalism-Malcolm-Stuart/dp/0517353261/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280508534&sr=8-1]The Encyclopedia of Herbs and Herbalism[/url], Penelope Ody's [url=https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Medicinal-Herbal-Natural-care/dp/075130025X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280508579&sr=1-1]The Complete Medicinal Herbal[/url], Valerie Ann Worwood's [url=https://www.amazon.com/Fragrant-Pharmacy-Valerie-Ann-Worwood/dp/0333484428/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280508613&sr=1-1]The Fragrant Pharmacy[/url], and probably also [url=https://www.amazon.com/Barefoot-Doctors-Manual-Translation-Paramedical/dp/089471810X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280508649&sr=1-1]The Barefoot Doctor's Manual[/url]. (All links go to Amazon)

I tend to simply interplant my herbs with my food crops, with the exception of Arnica montana, which I keep in pots to keep it contained - I wouldn't want to introduce it to my local ecosystem, because it's not native. Other than that, I keep close track of the seeding behaviour of the plants to keep them from escaping.

I should also note that the three herbs I use most are not going to grow well in temperate North America, more's the pity. I didn't list a plethora of plants I grow for medicine because they're simply not practical or available for the US herbalist.

Spongegirl
Cool Member

Oh, you're from Equador! I've never talked to anyone from South America before. I have become very interested in the Rainforests of South America in my quest to learn about our planet. I have been reading about the sacred plants that refers 'ayahuasca'. One reference told about it as if it were a spirit and another spoke of it as a brew. I have a chacruna rooted leaf clone. I've only read a couple of weak sources about how to do this successfully. I put the roots in worm castings and covered it with a baggie for moisture and sat it outside to humidity it up! I think I will bring it in at night. Baby it. I only have one leaf to make a go at it. I also found a website to order larger plants of psychotria. Have you ever had any experience with what I'm talking about? I want to connect to the Earth in every way. I would love to have plants from the Amazon growing in my backyard. Is that what it is like for you?.. The Jungle in your backyard?

What do you do for mosquitos? I just read to make a tea from Yarrow to repel them. You mentioned that herb as one to fill an area and easy to grow. I think I will focus on planting that from seed in the entire orchard next year. That & lavender. Lavender is for EVERYTHING!

I have planted 100 blueberry bushes this year and bees are essential. Although bumble bees are preferred for blueberries, I have, too, thought of the need for honey and beeswax. I order beeswax online. There's a man in town that will bring his hives for free because it's his hobby & he gives his honey & wax away. I've got to find him.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Actually, I'm originally from Canada, but I've lived here for about 4 years now, and no way am I ever leaving. I split my time between the highlands and a forest in the upper Amazon basin; in the downhill home, the "jungle" (not the most descriptive term, but there it is) is both my front and back yard and my garden. There are some pics in a thread kicking around the Hoo-Ha and Foo forum here.

Ayahuasca (literally, "the vine of the ancestors/spirits") is one of the ingredients in a brew of the same name; the plant referenced is the liana Banisteriopsis capii, which grows throughout the Amazon region. The use of the brew here is carefully regulated by the shamans who prepare it - there are entire month-long rituals of cleansing and purification necessary before partaking in the full-moon ceremony. Other cultures, particularly the Shuar, use ayahuasca in a liquor/spirit on a daily basis to purify them and direct the day; this isn't reccomended for Gringos because we're generally far too toxic to do it - made properly, you take the ayahuasca, vomit, and then have your visions, but if you've got too much accumulated toxin in your body (and nearly all Gringos do, it's a consequence of the diet and environment), it can make you quite ill. So: bottom line? Caution! If you truly want to experience ayahuasca, the best way is to visit Latin America (I'd reccomend Ecuador, for fairly obvious reasons), do the purifications, and then do the ceremony. Preparing your own without explicit knowledge of the processes and plants involved will give you uneven and potentially deady results.

Many Amazon plants are notoriously difficult to grow outside of the Amazon - there are fairly specific soil, moisture, light, and altitude requirements that can only be satisfied in the lower wet or flooded forests. However, there are others that are easy and fun to grow out of their natural habitat. The family Araceae (the Aroids) are a great example of the latter, while the former is represented by plants like B. capii and some of the other interesting psychotropics.

For Mosquitos and other biting bugs, I use a synergistic blend of Patchouli, Neroli, Lemongrass, Citronella, Cedar, and Thyme. For bites, I use Lavender or Tea Tree, or a blend of Lemon and Thyme. Yarrow is a good basic repellent, but it's much weaker than the blend I use, and has less staying-power.

If you broadcast Yarrow together with Calendula, Lavender, and Echinacea in the orchard, you'll get healthier plants of all four - they support each other much better than monoculture plantings will.

Spongegirl
Cool Member

I will try that mix in the orchard next year for sure. Thanks for that tip and the other info as well.
Nothing I've read so far talks about the vomit part, that was funny! I didn't realize the sacred plants used were toxic. Interesting!
I put the Tea Tree on my baby's ringworm. I used a little bit of shea butter with it and I think I'll try it without the shea next time.

lorax
Greener Thumb

All of the sacred plants are to a certain extent toxic, some more than others (Yopo and Jimsonweed, I'm looking at you... :shock: ). That toxicity and how our bodies react to it are the essence of the effects they produce - the visions are a byproduct of mild poisoning.

Actually, the very best examples of this are the sacred mushrooms. Fly Agaric, for example, is a superlative bringer of visions in very tiny amounts, although large doses will kill you. Psilocyben, on the other hand, requires much higher levels to induce true toxicity reactions.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

rosemary will work twice as fast as lavender and thyme.

I drink fresh sage and mint tea every day with honey cinnamon and cloves. Sometimes I add lemon balm and catnip in the mix but I experienced a natural high after I finished detoxing by eating all raw foods. It only lasted about 5 mins but jeez was I feelin good. The brain regulates the chemicals and hormones that make us feel wonderful and no vmitting!! Infact my stomach never felt better. A clean mind and healthy body will connect you on an even deeper level than say 100 ayahuasca juices.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Of course - but for something really profound, like being able to actually speak to the trees, psychotropics have their merit. You'll note that I did say that it shouldn't be a daily thing for most people.

Personally, I prefer to get my highs from natural exertion and keeping my body fairly clean and detoxed. I feel better after climbing a mountain than I do after an ayahuasca ceremony, but the two things have widely different uses for me.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

For information on herbs that can be grown in North America and other northern latitudes (I suspect southern temperate latitudes as well, but I haven't read the books), try Horizon Herbs in Oregon: https://www.horizonherbs.com

They also sell seeds of many, many herbs.

/mod hat on momentarily/
Be careful not to give what may seem like personalized or specific medical advice; none of us can know for sure what additional complications/allergies/interactions may apply on either end of the situation: the plant or the person being treated. Insufficient knowledge could land someone in the emergency room or...worse.
General discussion about traditional usages is just fine.
/mod hat off/

Horizon Herbs seems to encourage interplanting, to judge from the photos I've seen on their website.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Health professional hat on:
Radioallergosorbent test (RAST)

hats off

Try this: Sit down with a glass of water.

Think about all the herbs that you know are edible. Say them in your head and rank them in which you would like to eat first.

Drink the water.

Do not read below this line untill sit and meditate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Chances are when you come up with a few herbs that you like these will also be the herbs which you as a living organism need to be eating to reach enlightenment. I can say that ayahuaska will be last on the list because in the subconscious you know you are going to be vomiting and brain function will be impared and there is a enourmous health risk. What type of living organism, besides the human, would consiously poison themselves? None.

When I started looking up the nutritional values of the foods I love was delighted to find they were packed with everything I need to feel high. Ask Jay Kordich The Juice Man aka Juicedaddy how to feel high? Parsley!

For me its beets/lemons/sweet red peppers/apples/cucumbers/carrots/ coriander/ginger/ dandilions/ beet greens/ tomato/celery/ fennel/ parsley

throw in some herbs in teas and you are high. A lot of the food we eat contains aphrodisiacs so sex is better, lasting longer. The brain is functioning allowing for better processing of information coming in and going out.

My friend's mom said yaers and years ago that she doesn't need drugs to feel high. You do kinda need drugs to feel high but if you don't consider food a drug as I do than that statement would be true.

Take this into consideration in your spirit journey, when you aren't getting sick, when you wake up as the sun is rising with out an alarm clock, when you are enjoying your favorite food, when your partner is complimenting you often, when you start to make more and more positive changes (loosing weight, skin wrinckles dissapearing, energy boosts), when you unlock mysteries as easy as you unlock your door, you are getting high on life. The cleanest most sensible thing is eat right. Once you get that taken care of you can say which on is better and brings you closer to your goal in life.

What I am trying to get at is there are clean highs and dirty ones. I would place raw food, herb salads and teas as the cleanest forms of high along with prayer and meditation, dancing or singing, excercising.

Reminds me of that movie Bear

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Not actually herbs. Just natural items used for cures, or relief.

But, the best cure for fungal issues is:
Black walnut, the husk on the green nuts.
You take a grater and grate a bit, just to get the juice up, then rub the juice on the ringworm, it is dead, and soon as the little scabs heal it is gone! Also helps with athletes foot and those kinds too. Burns on raw skin. Not a damage you burn an ouch burn.

Tobacco, still not an herb, but if you get stung, a little bit on it, will relieve the pain and stop the swelling.

Garlic, for poison ivy, especially, but any rashes. Take a piece of fresh garlic, and mush it enough to get a little juice flow. Now use the garlic to scratch your itches. It hurts! It burns! But, it does stop the itch and soon the rash is history.

Onions, best cure for indigestion issues. Eat raw onions and garlic as often as possible, they will hurt. You will not like this at first.
But some indigestion is actually viral, and both of these are anti-viral and the viruses can't get immune to them. Soon, you will have a cast iron gut, once the tenderness all heals up. Of course, this only works if your chronic indigestion is viral in nature, but with the antibiotic properties, they will also prevent a secondary issue if indigestion is another reason.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Herbs like full sun, hot and dry. I have a spot that is clay, lime stone gravel, and sand. I tilled in some peat moss a few years ago. It is too dry for grass and weeds to grow this time of the year but my herbs do great.

I only plant things I will use. Sweet Basil, Parsley, Savory, Cilantro, Bay Leaf. I have planted other but I don't have a use for them so I don't plant them anymore.

I'm not sure if chili peppers are herbs or not. I planted a row of mild chili peppers in the garden I have been picking them and laying them on a table to dry. I am going to make chili powder when they all dry out.

A good friend has a chinese herbal medicine book that has been translated to english. I notice that marijuana is a very good medicine in China. When my mother got old her hands would shake so bad she could not feed herself I believe that was called parkinson's disease. My sister got her some marajuana it stops the shakes and she was able to feed herself. It was amazing I watched her smoke it. She was shaking so bad my sister had to hold it so she could get the first puff of smoke. Second puff she could hold it herself but she was still shaking a little. After the second puff she was fine. Only 2 puffs of smoke that was amazing shakes were gone. Why does the US government not reconize marijuana as being a useful medician for parkinson's disease. The chinese herbal medicine book says it is good for nausea, pain, insomnia, sinus, tooth decay pain, tremors, and more.

[img]https://www.ourhealth.com.au/uploaded_images/chinese-herbal-medicine-store-hong-kong-797015.jpg[/img]

lorax
Greener Thumb

Marijuana's illegality in the US comes down to a political descision backed by Big Tobacco and Big Pharma; there's an excellent book on it called, I believe, "The Forbidden Medicine" (I can't immediately find it on my shelves, but I'm sure it's there somewhere....) It tells the history of Marijuana in the US, what led to its being banned, and a whole bunch of clinical trials that prove its effectiveness on a wide range of conditions, with far fewer side-effects (read, mild euphoria and increased appetite) than pharmaceutical drugs (read, nausea, vomiting, liver toxicity, etc etc etc.)

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

I consider MJ to be a food not a drug! ^^

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”