Dany_mex
Cool Member

Having some trouble.

Hi,

Well my herbs have started to germinate but one of them, actually the thyme sprouts grew on the side of the pot I'm wondering if that is going to be a problem, am I going to have transplant it to a bigger pot. I need a solution since I don't want to transplant to a bigger pot.

Thanks.

Cheers.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hard to know if you need a bigger pot, if I don't know how big the current pot is. If you are talking about a little 3" starter pot, then yes you will need to up-pot if you want your plant to thrive for very long.

But thyme is basically a ground cover-y, creeping plant, that will drape over the sides of your pot.

But when you said it grew "on the side of the pot" is that to one side of the soil on top (OK, doesn't matter) or did you mean it literally grew out of the side of the pot (could happen sometimes with peat or other natural fiber post)-- in which case it will be better off if you move it.

Dany_mex
Cool Member

Well I have a picture that might help you, by the way the other herbs are doing great, the thyme sprouts look amazing!.

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG00367-20100725-1215.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG00364-20100725-1213.jpg[/img]

You can see they're close to the "wall" of the pot.

By the way today I woke up and found this bug next to my basil sprouts, I don't know what kind of bug it was but how can I prevent this from happening. I heard that I can make a solution of soup and water but I'm trying to stay away from all te chemical stuff.

This is the bug.

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG00433-20100728-1249.jpg[/img]

Cheers.

lorax
Greener Thumb

I wouldn't worry about the sprouts being close to the pot wall - they'll grow up fine there, and when it comes time to put them in the garden or to repot (which isn't now - wait until they're established!) you'll actually have an easier time of it (pun intended) if they've developed roots close to the pot wall, because roots don't stick the way soil does and the plants will come out far more cleanly.

The bug looks like a sowbug, and if so you don't really need to worry about it at all - they eat decaying material and poop out fertilizer :() and it's probably after the organic matter in your soil.

Dany_mex
Cool Member

Oh great thank you very much for your answer you've really helped me out, I was kind of afraid of having more bugs in my pots. But anyway do you think I need a pesticide just to prevent other bugs that do eat my herbs?, if so what organic pesticides can I use.

lorax
Greener Thumb

I wouldn't be worrying about pesticides of any sort right now - when sprouts are still young like this, even the mildest organics will set them back, and can even kill them.

When the plants are older, you can look at mild organic pesticides like Safer's Insecticidal Soap, which kills aphids, mites, and ants, and Diatomaceous Earth, which is more of a preventative measure against all forms of crawlies. However, to be completely honest, in my experience herbs rarely have pest problems - the volatile oils that make them so pleasant for us to eat are fairly effective bug repellents.

In fact, I've found that basil extract in water works really well against aphids on my tomatoes, so how about that? :()

Dany_mex
Cool Member

Thank you so much for your advice.

Cheers

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with everything Lorax said! But that is a whole ton of little thyme seedlings. When they get a little bigger and start crowding each other, you are going to need to thin it out - just take little scissors and cut a bunch off them off at the stems.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”