krzyk4
Cool Member

Garlic Help Please :D

I don't know if this is in the right category ... is garlic a veggie or an herb? Well anyways, since finding out I have garlic in my flowerbed (Thank you applstar :) ) ... I am wondering if its still good to grow or not

I don't know when they were planted, this is my second summer here and I didn't even notice those scapes last year! Could they take that long to grow? I am in edmonton ab, zone 3. I pulled one up and the scape is kinda hard and there is what looks like a mini garlic bulb ... kinda purple/white .. looks healthy, just mini! Do you think it could still grow full size? if so, what do I do with it now? Can I eat the scape?

Thanks for helping out a newbie ..... yet again :?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I myself have never eaten the scapes and this is my first year growing it and definitely wont' be the last. I just love me some garlic. :D

But I hear people love the scapes fried sauteed or fresh in salads.

If you already pulled the garlic you can't replant it right now. You could save the small cloves to plant later in the fall for a spring crop. Or you could eat them right now. I picked some baby garlic and have been using that for cooking it is just as good as big garlic just in a teeny tiny format. :wink:

krzyk4
Cool Member

I have eaten it before, it's so good! but the problem is, I didn't plant this so it has to be at least 1 !/2 yrs old or more .... I can't find any info about what happens to it if its been growing that many years :? Should the scape be kinda hard or does that mean its no good ... hmmm ... maybe I will eat it and see what happens :lol:

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”