mrsgreenthumbs

Can you build a verticle herb garden with milk crates?

I have this small space and potentially I will be moving within the year and might end up with a small patio rather than a garden so I am trying to think ahead in planning with my next project. Iv found that the majority of my collection will end up being either given to family and friends or sold before we move. Also a large amount of my plant's will not be small space friendly. I got to thinking about vertical gardens long ago when I was trying to deal with my lack of space that I am trying to work around now so the idea has been floating for a while... I was thinking... what if I zip tied milk crates together, covered the front with chicken wire and potted some herbs in there? I could toss seeds in the sides of the milk crates that are exposed and even the top. The water could be drip system that way it's easy to install easy to remove vertical and space saving and I could use recycled milk crates. What do yall think? Would it need a special soil? how about what type of herbs? Could I grow other plants (food bearing)? I'm sure it won't look too pretty at first but after a while it should fill out right? Would it need plastic or peat moss to keep moisture in there?

applestar
Mod

Your idea has definite possibilities.
Ever since I came across the concept of [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=53710#53710]Patrick Blanc's Vertical Gardens[/url], I've been fascinated. I'm working up an idea myself.

A few points:
‣ I wouldn't use chickenwire. In my experience, some straw is sufficient to keep the soil in when you already have a supporting surface (such as the milk crate). If you don't mind synthetic weedbarrier fabric, you could use one of those to line the crates too. I've been considering using coir mat/sheeting they sell by the rolls. I would only line the outside walls and not line between crates so the crates form a contiguous root space (I.e. pack any gap between crates with soil)
‣ You can't sow seeds in the sides because the seeds are programmed to grow upward. I would plant started seedlings and plants into the sides and use the top for sowing seeds. Another reason not to use chickenwire. If you have a fabric liner, you could cut X's to plant in. I think with straw, you could just push them apart.
‣ If you watch the interview videos, PB talks about selecting the plants according to moisture and light requirements -- drought tolerant sun-lovers towards the top, moisture loving shade-lovers towards the bottom.
‣ Watering system from above that trickle/drip down to supply all the crates would be ideal. My design concept includes a run-off holding tank and a recirculating pump, based on PB's design.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

A suggestion here, hopefully workable. Check out shelving units at Box stores (lowes, home depot, and office places) 4 shelf, plastic, ventilated shelving. 36" wide, and usually 18" deep. As it is modular, can configure to your space. You can do a 4 shelf thing, or 2 2 shelf things. I use these with success.
Hope this helps

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”