tam727
Newly Registered

Tiny Flies on my Potted Indoor Herbs?

Hi All, first time poster, would appreciate any advice.

I planted basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, chive, chamomile, and lavendar in pots that are all lined up on my bedroom windowsill (my room has the best exposure). They've attracted tiny little flies that buzz all over the plants. They aren't really bothering me because they don't move away from the plants, but it's a little gross to come over to water them and see flies buzzing all around. Is there anything I can use to kill them off but not harm my herbs?

Thanks in advance!

hydroguy

Good info Merlingardener, another method for controling gnats which I'm thinking these little flies might just be is with diatomaceous earth. Gnats along with lots of other insects live in the soil during their larval stage and this organic product will do the trick. A Google search can lend to lots more info on this safe and effective method of insect control.

hydroguy

tam727
Newly Registered

Thank you for these suggestions! I mixed some of my Dove (bar) soap with water and have been spraying...it kills them on impact but they still seem...plentiful.

I see Amazon sells a 12 oz. shaker of Diatomaceous Earth and says it is safe to ingest...I think I'll try ordering it and shaking some of that on the plants next! I really hope it works. They're starting to bug (ha) me.

Thanks again! Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”