gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Basil went to flower can it still be used for spice?

I have basil all over and I just got my first bunch of dried basil for spice (yes I was being lazy I should have more basil than I know what to do with). I was out collecting more to dry and see that a few of my plants are into heavy flower production. Though it is pretty can they still be used for pesto or spices.

I have always grown spices but I rarely harvested them so I'm not so sure on this part of the gardening experience.

If you cut off the flowering stalks will they regain there momentum (basil that is) or are they done for at this point as far as an edible herb is concerned?

Thanks Dono 8)

p.s. If only i didn't let my cinnamon basil die I would be much more happy. That stuff is like heaven in a pot. I can't find anymore of it around here at the moment. If you haven't grown it you must. C'mon "Cinnamon", "Basil" where can you go wrong there.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Cut all the flower spikes off back to a leaf node. The basil will keep going. It keeps trying to flower, so you have to keep cutting it back.

For pesto I throw the flowers in with leaves. They are a little milder than the leaves, but definitely basil flavored and you are going to grind it all up anyway. You wouldn't want all flowers.

Definitely it is still usable!
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

applestar
Mod

I go even lazier :lol: Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, drop spoonfuls all over like you're making drop cookies and freeze. Wrap/ fold up the parchment in freezer bags (I don't like letting oily foods touch plastic) and store in the freezer.

You can also let some seeds mature and sow, gixx, for fall crop and for bringing inside for winter.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

All good ideas and thanks.

I will trim them back, well I actually already did, at least part of them. As far as saving seed I have a few that have gone crazy and are beyond saving I think. They are extremely bushy I will try to get some seed from them.

Again thanks now to get off my butt and do all things I know I need to do. :lol:

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”