jimmykx250

rosemary in the garden

Can you leave rosmary in the garden over winter,if not can I transplant it to a pot and bring it inside?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No you can't leave rosemary out for the winter, in Northern Illinois. People who live in zone 7 or south can. I'm in zone 6 and I can't either.

You can pot it up and bring it in for the winter, but they are not easy to keep going. I have killed two of them already that way (one that was huge and beautiful that someone gave me :( ). I'm going to try again this year with one that I started from seed early this spring.

What I am going to try is some soil for cactus or something like that, that is very sandy. Rosemary is a desert plant, really does not like to stay wet. It does best with being misted, but very little water on the roots.

Here's one discussion we had about this last fall:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=98814&highlight=rosemary+woes#98814

applestar
Mod

plant it next spring, and give it a try
Don't overlook that advice. I don't know if the link Rainbowgardener supplied has my post with my experience trying to grow Rosemary 'Arp' -- supposed to be winter hardy in Zone 6 outside, but one year, my summer-purchased and planted rosemary plants didn't survive, but overgrown/pot bound ones purchased in spring and planted in the same locations survived next winter.

One location, which I *thought* was going to be the winner is just off my brick patio on SE side of the house -- heat sink, I thought. I piled fall leaves around and on top of it, and wrapped it with a piece of spun bonded cloth. Well, it barely survived. In retrospect, because of the low-lying Winter sun, the brick patio didn't get direct sun except for few mid-day hours.

2nd location was just on the inside of the fence on SW side of the house. It's bounded by the picket fence on NW side, which is also being used to trellis the thornless blackberries. There's an arbor trellis on it's SW side as well, so the location didn't seem ideal. Too many things shading it. I didn't provide any mulch because there were too many growths surrounding it. Well, this rosemary came through with flying colors. Hardly lost any leaves during the winter.

thurkun

Rosemary in a pot grows very slow compared to how it does in the ground.
I have found Arp is the hardiest available, find a protected spot and try it there. I've had a Rosemary hedge for years, but I'm in Tennessee, Land of Much Milder Winters. If you put one in the ground and it dies you have not lost much,it's not like you are testing pesticides on small cute fuzzy animals.
Pat

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”