jilly003
Newly Registered

Mint Yellowing and turning black!

So my mint was doing wonderful and growing very fast. However, a few weeks ago I noticed the leaves were yellowing and had black spots. The leaves would eventually turn completely brown and fall off. It started with just the lower leaves but has now spread to the entire plant. At first I thought it was just a lack of sunlight on the lower leaves or too much water because it had been raining a lot. However, I have allowed the soil to dry out and its only gotten worse. I also tried fertilizing thinking perhaps it just needed some nutrients, and I tried spraying with a neem oil solution thinking perhaps it was some sort of fungus. I tried plucking all of the bad looking leaves off and then left it to see if it would come back. But its now getting worse. Oh, its in a container, on my porch, in full sun. Any ideas???

I cant seem to get a picture to post, anyone know how to do that?

Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know what is wrong with your mint, but a link to the instructions for posting pictures is in my signature line (thanks for the idea MarsMan)

jilly003
Newly Registered

Here are some photos of my mint plant:

[img]https://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy163/jilly003/IMG_0491.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy163/jilly003/IMG_0488.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy163/jilly003/IMG_0485.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I still don't know; maybe someone else will. But here's what I do know from experience. Mint is very hardy and it takes a lot to slow it down very much. It can survive a bit of attack by whatever pest or disease is around. My mint, grown in shade with no care whatsoever (no fertilizing, no neem, no nothing) often looks a bit raggedy like that, but it keeps on growing just fine.

Relax!

jilly003
Newly Registered

Thanks, its funny because I know mint grows like crazy most of the time, and is hard to get rid of. However, I've tried a couple times to get it to grow in a container and its always seemed to die off before it grows enough to really enjoy it! But we shall see, at this point I'm pretty much just leaving it alone to see what it does.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Your mint looks really good.
A few things:

1. Mint 70 ...°F, pH 6.5, row 12 - 18'', full sun - partial shade

2. That pot looks too small. They will be root bound eventually and even if you get a bigger pot they will get root bound again but thats just what they do. Rosemary is like that too. Keep in mind if you want it to keep growing and growing to space them out a bit.

3. Bring indoors and hit the mint with an oscillating fan for a few hours if the soil is really soggy.

4. Mint is one of my favorite plants :o

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”