Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Herb Pesto

My herbs grew back 5 times larger than they were the first year. I pick a very large quantity of parsley and other herbs every day. Savory, cilantro, oregano, basil, hysop too.

Parsley is making some great pesto. It is great with chips like salsa in a mexican restaurant. Parsley pesto on pasta is great. It is great on potatoes too. I been putting it on sandwicks, crackers and every thing I can thing of. We been eating all pesto lunches, carrots and celery sticks dipped in pesto.

Turnip green make great pesto.

Kale, spinash, swiss chad, carrots makes some great pesto too.

Basic recipe is oil, nuts or sun flower seeds, greens, garlic, onion, mild chili pepper, black pepper, cheese, yogart, etc. in any combination that tastes good.

I have been drying lots of herbs. They do best to dry at room temperature in the dark. Someone mentioned drying them in the freezor I did some basil like that.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

While I have played with some other herbs, I still am using the word with just one herb; basil.
Not that I think you can't use other herbs, or that you shouldn't call it pesto if it isn't basil (I save that sort of purist rant for the plethora of so called martinis that have taken over, when Joseph Martini's original recipe was quite clear, 2 gin to one vermouth, and two olives. Not vodka, gin. If you use pearl onions instead of olives, it's called a Gibson, so where do they get off calling chocolate confections and appletinis by Giuseppe's last name!? :x . But I digress...)

I am just an unabashed fan of the basil. I love all herbs but I love basil a little more. Some EVOO, a few cloves of garlic, some pignones and maybe a sprinkle of salt... Molto bene!

HG
Scott Reil

applestar
Mod

I'm starting to harvest garlic just as the basils are getting big enough to harvest.
I declare PestO Season OPEN!! :()
Last edited by applestar on Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:I'm starting to harvest garlic just as the basils are getting big enough to harvest.
I declare Pest Season OPEN!! :()
I hope you meant PESTO season open. :shock: :P

Never tried to make pest but I want to try this year. I do have some basil hanging to dry in the garage right now. But that will be for spice.

applestar
Mod

:roll: CAN NOT type for beans recently. :roll:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Ha ha ha even I typed "pest" in my post about you typing pest. :hide:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Pesto season is HERE! We ate fresh made pesto a couple nights ago and then I made two more batches and froze them! Love it!
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

mansgirl

I have never made pesto, and am now convinced that I have to based on this thread and on one in the recipe forum.
"The earth laughs in flowers."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

csvd87

Love fresh basil. When I was in Italy last fall, I found myself at a pizza place in Salerno, best pizza I had, simple too, buffalo mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and fresh basil.. fresh basil = best pizza topping ever.

webmaster
Site Admin

fresh basil = best pizza topping ever.
I agree! 8)

It looks great too, shrunken up and has crunch when you bite it. I've been thinking about making a mozzarella/bread with drops of tomato sauce with crunchy basil on top for lunch.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Molto bene, csvd; the classic pizza known as the Margherite. I am convinced the colors of the Italian flag were chosen from this pizza classico; if it's not the real reason it should be... :lol:

Waiting on my tomatoes to ripen; the pizza peel stands ready, and I am pretty sure I can do it on the grill... :D

HG
Scott Reil

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”