krzyk4
Cool Member

Basil Types? Can I mix them in same container?

I have 5 varieties of basil growing in pots separately ... Sweet, Lemon, Cinnamon, Thai and Purple.

If I get a big pot, can I mix the flavors or will that compromise the individual flavors?

How is basil with transplanting?

Thanks all :D

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

At a golf course I used to work at they had a herb container maybe 10 gallons with half the kitchens herbs in it. Should be no problem.

Chocolate mint!!

take extra care when transplanting. they sometimes have an issue with this. Good drainage/ proper watering/ proper sun they will do well regardless of being transplanted this time of year.
Good Luck

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree... I always have a container with a red or purple basil and a green basil somewhat crowded together, because I think they look so pretty together. Now I can't say for sure re the taste, because the red and green basil don't taste that different anyway, but the purple basil retains its unique perfumy fragrance grown with a green basil.

If you are having hot weather, that's not the greatest time to transplant; pick the coolest day in the forecast. But sage is right, if you treat it well, it will survive, even if set back a little.

krzyk4
Cool Member

Excellent!! That's just the things I wanted to hear ... I think I'll leave some separate and some mixed and see how it goes :D

Thanks!!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”