LupinePredator

Growing Herbs In A Container In A Tree - Possible?

I had an idea earlier today. Given that I am SUCH a complete newbie to gardening, there will be times when I might come up with some pretty goofy ideas. You should all feel free to shake your heads and have a good laugh when that happens. I won't be hurt or angry, really.

Anyway, what I thought was this. I have five trees in my yard - no idea what they are, though I could upload a picture of one somewhere, I suppose, and provide a link. If that makes a difference, I'll do that. What I wondered is, would it be feasible to hang a smallish container near the ends of the tree branches, and grow a few herbs that way?

I have (oddly - the trees were put in by the previous owner) four trees one side of the house, and one tree on the other. The side with four gets sunlight in the morning, and the side with one gets sunlight in the afternoon.

Since I have one tree that's decorated with a bunch of small wind chimes, and a bird feeder, my thought was to do another with some very decorative pots and grow herbs in them.

Anyone have any ideas?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You can certainly grow many plants in hanging planters suspended from tree limbs. I used to hang my asparagus ferns from branches of trees, when I moved the plants outdoors for the summer.

Unfortunately, I don't think herbs would do well in such a location. Herbs like a lot of direct sunlight, and I think it would be too shady for them if in a hanging planter in a tree. I realize your intention was to hang the planters from the ends of the branches, but I don't think you could get them far enough toward the ends to get enough sunlight.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I basically agree with Kisal about the shade. But there are a few herbs which are adaptable and won't mind so much:

Mint grows anywhere and is better done in containers so it doesn't take over your yard. Pennyroyal is a kind of mint that grows kind of sprawling and trailing would be good for hanging baskets. It is intensely aromatic, good as insect repellant. Lemon balm is another member of the mint family that is an aggressive spreader, doesn't care where it grows, but makes a very nice tea.

Other herbs that tolerate some shade include:

oregano, thyme, parsley

The oregano and thyme are also creeping, trailing plants that would do well in hanging baskets.

Experiment and see what works. There are certainly plenty of flowers that would be happy to grow that way...

LupinePredator

Thank you, both of you. Not such a goofy idea after all, I guess. :D

This whole gardening thing is beginning to be a little addictive for me...

applestar
Mod

When you hang your planters on the branches, be sure to provide a padding so the hanger -- whether wire or rope -- will not dig into the bark of the tree. I like using cut up old garden hose. Just thread your wire or rope through the hose and put the hose covered loop on the branch. If you have a hanging pot with a wire cloth hanger-type hook, make the hose padded piece, then hang the hook on that. An S-hook is useful there too.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”