Silent Bear
Newly Registered

White Sage

Hello everyone I am new on here and new to gardening, I currently have various herbs that I just planted and are currently germinating, including burdock,yellow dock, feverfew, mint,yarrow,ashwagandha and sacred tobacco , I am very happy to be starting my own herb garden for healing and ceremonial purposes, I was interested in planting white sage for ceremonial purposes does anyone have any clippings or plants they would like to sell or donate, thanks

applestar
Mod

White sage is the one used for burning as smudge sticks (is that what they're called?) to purify the air/area isn't it? I'm sorry I don't have one, but now I'm curious as to what they're like.

I grew 3 kinds of sage from seeds for the first time early this spring, and found them really easy to grow with good supplemental light. Hmm... I wonder where you can get some seeds... 8)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

johnnyseeds.com is selling a packet of white sage seeds for $3.

I haven't grown the white sage, but I have started common sage from seed with no difficulty and the plant is now several years old and thriving.

applestar
Mod

I'll have to check out Johnny's. I also found some info at one of my favorite herb seed sources: https://www.horizonherbs.com/pilot.asp?pg=white_sage
But the description and comments at my other favorite source is interesting too (scroll down to Grandfather White or Salvia apiana):
https://mulberrycreek.com/cgi-bin/herbman/page.cgi?p=a_z;letter=S

So, Silent Bear, which one are you looking for, Salvia apiana or Artemesia ludoviciana?

Silent Bear
Newly Registered

I am looking for salvia apiana perferably some clippings or the whole plant that I could start in my garden quickly

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Hello Silent Bear

There is another [url=https://www.laspilitas.com/nature-of-california/plants/artemisia-tridentata]Sage[/url] that is used to make smudge and it is even more fragrant and powerful than white sage.

saramartin
Newly Registered

Silent Bear wrote:Hello everyone I am new on here and new to gardening, I currently have various herbs that I just planted and are currently germinating, including burdock,yellow dock, feverfew, mint,yarrow,ashwagandha and sacred tobacco , I am very happy to be starting my own herb garden for healing and ceremonial purposes, I was interested in planting white sage for ceremonial purposes does anyone have any clippings or plants they would like to sell or donate, thanks
It is indigenous to the desert regions of California, so it grows well here in South Australia. I grow it in a hot, dry garden bed that receives one deep watering every one its not possible to grow white saga for commercially.

Silent Bear
Newly Registered

Sage Hermit, that is interesting I will have to look into that

Saramartin, I live in northern California where it is very hot and dry also I would imagine the white sage would grow wonderfully in my garden

SacredSage
Newly Registered

Instead of starting a new topic, I will borrow this thread, hope you don't mind! :)

What sort of soil have people used with growing white sage indoors? Peat compost was recommended by the person who sold me the seeds, but after a short googling it appears peat compost isn't a very environment friendly option :roll: so now looking for other ideas. Cactus soil was suggested on another site, any experience on that?

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Sage likes sandy well drained mediteranean cost style soil. Any will do and the peat is too rich I suppose.
Sage pH 4.2 - 8.3, sow 1/4", row 12"

truthfully though, some of the richest soil I have has a sage in it and they look ok outdoors.

SacredSage
Newly Registered

Thanks Sage Hermit!

soil
Greener Thumb

since your in redding you can go into the mountains and find some white sage for seed collection, I used to find sages all over the southern california mountains. it grows wild.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”