lexxerd
Newly Registered

Tarragon and others herbs wont grow any bigger

I have several herbs that for whatever reason wont grow any bigger then 3/4 of an inch tall.

This plant is more then a month old
[img]https://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/lexxerd/7e0fc292.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/lexxerd/1a66720c.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/lexxerd/359ab26c.jpg[/img]

The environment they are in is Ballantyne North Carolina right on the South Carolina border.
[img]https://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/lexxerd/36413148.jpg[/img]

Not enough sun?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not enough sun?

That would be my guess, tucked into the house corner like that.

Tarragon and most other herbs like full sun. I have a herb garden that is partly shaded by trees. Not ideal, but most of my yard is like that. Some things will grow there, but tarragon is not one. I have tried a couple time and it keeps dying. Definitely wants FULL SUN.

lexxerd
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:Not enough sun?

That would be my guess, tucked into the house corner like that.

Tarragon and most other herbs like full sun. I have a herb garden that is partly shaded by trees. Not ideal, but most of my yard is like that. Some things will grow there, but tarragon is not one. I have tried a couple time and it keeps dying. Definitely wants FULL SUN.
Thanks, I will move them to the top shelf and probably remove the green house cover and see if that helps things out a bit. I just don't want the plants to get to much water when it rains but most of the pots have good drainage and some of the larger once I put rock at the bottom to keep the plants from drowning.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Can't you move the greenhouse out away from the house?

lexxerd
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:Can't you move the greenhouse out away from the house?
I could, however the back porch only gets light till 1PM then it becomes shady.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In that case, if that is the only spot you have to grow things, you probably need to focus more on things that don't require full sun, instead of fighting a losing battle to make things grow there that aren't getting what they need.

If you want to grow herbs, herbs I have found that work in my pretty shady herb garden are mint, oregano, thyme, lemon balm, sage in the sunniest spot in the not full sun garden (when it was 3' farther over into the tree shade, it died), comfrey, St John's wort, germander, parsley, anise hyssop.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I am having the same problem. Basil, Cilantro, Thyme all came up from seeds but plants are only 1/4" tall and been that way for a month in full sun. We have had some very stranges weather. Warm weather turned cold then last week we had 14" of rain in 2 days then it turned cold high was 51 degrees for several days. Now it has warmed up the soil has dried out but it is over cast. I watered plants with compost water for fertilizer. Plants are still small showing no signs of getting larger. I think once the weather gets warm and stays warm the plants will grow.

applestar
Mod

Basil wants it to be at least 60ºF or warmer.
Thyme doesn't like to be waterlogged.
Cilantro doesn't like full-sun.

Sounds like you got 3-strikes going against you.... :|

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”