supagirl277

Mint and Parsley Clippings

How do I transfer a mint plant or parsley plant from one yard to the other? Do I take clippings and do something to them to start another? I'm using pots.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Transfer meaning propagate, like you want to still have them in the first yard AND have some in the second yard? Otherwise if you don't mind not leaving them behind in the first yard, it's easy--just dig them up with a good amount of earth around the roots and replant at the new place.

The mint plant is easy too, since what it wants to do is spread. Unless it was newly planted in the first yard, you should be able to just divide it. Dig up the clump and split it in half. Put one half back where you got it and the other half in the new place. It will root easily from cuttings also.

The parsley is a biennial, meaning it makes flower and seed in its second year then dies. But most people treat it as an annual and start it over every spring. It is quick growing. So you could try starting it from cuttings, but easiest would be to start over from seed or buy new plants, which are very inexpensive, from a garden store.

supagirl277

Ok, that is very helpful :) I think I'm just going to transplant it into one of my pots. It is growing fine over there in this cooler weather, so it should still do nice here.
I also find it interesting that at my grandma's house she has parsley that grows back every year, yet you say its a biennial. That's cool.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”