supagirl277

I'm new, and I want herbs!

I need some good ideas for some herbs to plant in northern Utah that I can start outdoors in pots from seeds, or starters. We just had a very windy spell, and unfortunately my seeds packets were blown all accross the yard... they included mint. I hope that none of them has fallen out of the packet and started germinating, because if they have, I am doomed!
I was thinking about taking mint and parsley clippings from my grandmothers yard and putting them in pots too.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your hot dry summers in Utah are a good climate for growing lots of herbs. Lavender should do well there (unless you are at enough elevation to be less than zone 5-- it looks like most of Utah is zone 6 or 7). Oregano, thyme, basil, tarragon, bee balm, etc should all do well there. (Basil is the only one of those that is annual, the rest are perennial.)

Good luck with the mint, hope it didn't get spread all over your yard! :)

applestar
Mod

Another easy way to start mint and thyme is to root the fresh herbs from the grocery store. Basil works too but not all the time. I'm guessing you could do this with oregano as well, though I haven't tried it.

supagirl277

rainbowgardener wrote:Your hot dry summers in Utah are a good climate for growing lots of herbs. Lavender should do well there (unless you are at enough elevation to be less than zone 5-- it looks like most of Utah is zone 6 or 7). Oregano, thyme, basil, tarragon, bee balm, etc should all do well there. (Basil is the only one of those that is annual, the rest are perennial.)

Good luck with the mint, hope it didn't get spread all over your yard! :)
I used to have lilac (which I tend to get mixed up with lavender) in my front yard, but it was attracting to many bees on my front steps. Thanks for the info about the list and whats perennial or not. Is there a place I can find a zone listing?
Last edited by supagirl277 on Tue May 11, 2010 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

supagirl277 wrote:Is there a place I can find a zone listing?
I responded to your question about which vegetables to grow in northern Utah with a discussion about climate zones.

Please read my response there, at https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25095 , and then ask further questions if I wasn't clear.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

supagirl277

cynthia_h wrote:
supagirl277 wrote:Is there a place I can find a zone listing?
I responded to your question about which vegetables to grow in northern Utah with a discussion about climate zones.

Please read my response there, at https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25095 , and then ask further questions if I wasn't clear.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
I just wanted to see if there was a map that showed all of the zones for references to other states, just for fun.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

https://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html

supagirl277

Thanks :) I just bought some sweet basil, lemon balm, and curled parsley to put in pots. And I'm going to transfer a mint plant from my grandmas house into a pot soon. Thanks for the adivce.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”