Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Anyone here growing Bay Leaf

Can I grow Bay Leaf?

Wikipedia says it is Laurus nobilis. It seems to be a tree. I thought it was an Herb.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, you can. The plant I had was more like a large shrub, though, than a tree. Maybe it was the way it was pruned. I did not plant it myself, it came with a house I bought. I was fairly certain I recognized it, but I took a branch to the local Extension Service office to get a positive ID.

I really love the flavor bay leaves give to foods. I'm glad you brought the subject up. I read the Wiki entry you linked, and it says the shrub will grow in a container. I happen to have a nice container that has been waiting for just such a plant. :)

applestar
Mod

I've had Bay Laurel several times in my career. They grow well outdoors during the summer, and you can wait until upper 30's to bring them in. Unfortunately they're extremely prone to scale insects, and I lose them eventually. Last time, I completely missed the infestation until the entire plant was COVERED in bumps. They really mimick the plant, especially a shrubby plant with semi-woody stems and tough leaves like bay very well. :roll:

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I have a bay plant (tree?!) in a container. Goes out now, comes back in about October. All the comments are right on!

Hard to find.
I have lost a a few. Watering is key I have experienced. Needs enough, not too much, and well drained.
Scale, for sure! As mine just went out will give it a soapy shower. That's a start, then may do more. I have wiped the leaves (underside) with cotton ball/alcohol, then give the plant a good shower. I have also used Schultz plant spray (pyrethins)

Keep it pruned to branch out. Of course what is pruned goes in the soup pot!

I think this year I will bump up the size of pot with mine and let it get bigger.

I left mine on a table at an east window and had plenty of light.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I want a bay leaf plant. Which one should I buy and where can I buy it?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

They're fairly easy to find online, but can be expensive. I plan to visit one of the locally owned nurseries in my area to find one. :)

applestar
Mod

The two of the places I've been to recently -- the local herb lady and the road-side farm stand with an extensive herb plant section -- both had Bay Laurel: about 6" plants in 4" pots.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

nobilis sounds like my name
Nabil

thurkun

I have two bay trees outside ( 22' and 8' tall ) that have survived temperatures as low as 5 degrees F. They are in a southern sheltered location near the back of the house and get very little direct wind. I cook with the leaves, make extract with vodka, and use the leaves in a simmering pot in the winter.
I have had no problem finding Bay in pots at Garden stores, I usually buy the smallest pot they have and just let them grow to the size that they would charge you an arm and a leg to buy.
Pat

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”