melmiamich
Newly Registered

Raised garden bed or not

I have a dirt patch where a pond used to be and I want to grow herbs in half of it, the rest I'd fill with grass to match the current grass around. I've set up some rocks and bricks to make a perimeter and intend to fill it with organic ground soil, then start planting seeds of arugula, oregano, cilantro and basil.

My question is, what's the difference between that and a raised bed, when a raised bed doesn't seem to have a bottom, and raised beds frankly don't seem to be 'raised', either. I don't mind bending over to pick and plant. I read that weeds don't get in there. How come? Is it just like a sandbox? Couldn't I re-create a raised bed?

Sorry if I sound amateur, but I am! :lol:

Thank you for any advice.

WatchMeShove

Raised beds may or may not have bottoms. I put weed block down under mine, a black porous sheeting which keeps anything under from getting up into your raised planter and contaminating your herbs with weeds and diseases. It is also porous so water can flow right through it into the ground. What do you mean raised beds don't seem to be raised?? If they weren't raised, then the wouldn't be called raised planters. Raised beds also gives you a chance to grow in good soil rather than the native ground which may be very hard and non inhabitable. Raised beds also look nice, I make mine for about $20- $30 and they are 5' x 5' and eight inches high, I can post a picture if you want and give you some easy instructions on how to build them. I hope this helps.

melmiamich
Newly Registered

I guess the ones that I've seen have walls, but that's it - they're still low to the ground. That's a good idea to put weed block. I'll do the same. A photo would be nice if you get a chance. Thanks.

chriswelch
Newly Registered

I also use raised beds, in fact we added 6 more to the garden this year bringing my total to 12. They are 4' x 8' and 10" deep. Here is a link to a recent post I wrote about the benefits of raised beds recently. Complete with pictures!
Good luck with your beds.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The point of raised beds is to be raised, not off the ground but a way to pile up good loose topsoil and not have it wash away. They can be as deep as they need to be, but doesn't really do much good or make much difference unless it's at least 6-8" deep. 10-12" is standard. Mine are sitting on my concrete patio with no dirt underneath them, so are 20" tall. So if you've got at least 10-12" of good loose, enriched topsoil, it doesn't matter if you have solid clay or whatever under there, you don't have to worry about trying to amend all your soil to make it good enough to plant in. Then having the box around it makes sure you never walk on it, so the soil is never compacted.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=105961&highlight=raised+beds+picture#105961

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have tried them both. Raised beds are a lot of work. First you have to buy pressure treated lumber and build frames. Then you fill the frames with compost or a mixture of compost and dirt. You have to space the frames so you can get the lawn mower between the frames. You still have to weed twice a week wind blows seeds in the frames and they grow. Birds eat seeds then they land in the garden and poop and the seeds grow. There is also a lot of wasted space in raised beds. I gave that up many years ago.

Now I dump compost on the soil and till it in. Measure the rows 3 ft apart and use a string to plant straight rows. When plants start coming up run the tiller between the rows once a week 10 minute job. Then about twice a week walk the rows with a hoe and remove small weeds 10 minute job too. I am totally for less work and more free time to CAN tomatoes and beans in mason jars, pick berries, go camping, set under the shade tree with a glass if ice tea and watch the birds.

I think mother nature does a great job without raised beds so I do the same. I have never seen a 2000 acre field of corn that is raised beds either.

The only advantage I see to raised beds is, you can grow a garden on an asphalt parking lot.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h292/mikeweaver/a1.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:I have tried them both. Raised beds are a lot of work. Agreed it is a lot of work initially, getting started. That is one time work though, never repeated. Mine are now going into their ninth season and going strong. You still have to weed twice a week No way! I weed maybe twice a season... weed the bed out initially in the spring, maybe need to do a little more light weeding after it is planted and the soil is warmed up enough to mulch. Lay down mulch and don't weed any more. Maybe a little more light weeding before I add more mulch and put the bed away for the winter. There is also a lot of wasted space in raised beds. Nope, no wasted space in my beds, they are way fuller than your garden rows look. One 4 x8 raised bed grows 5 broccoli plants (which are done when it gets hot so they are pulled about the time the tomato plants get big), 5 tomato plants, some onions, a little bit of carrots, some borage, nasturtium, marigolds, thyme.

I am totally for less work and more free time... me too! :) I'm definitely a no fuss, don't do more work than you need to kind of gardener.

I think mother nature does a great job without raised beds so I do the same. I have never seen a 2000 acre field of corn that is raised beds either. Definitely, boxed in raised beds are for back yard gardeners, not for farmers. It would be stupid and wasteful to try to turn acres into a bunch of boxes. But you can do raised rows without the boxes. Somewhere there was a link to a video of Emile Hazelip doing raised rows in big fields. Those are raised beds too.

The only advantage I see to raised beds is, you can grow a garden on an asphalt parking lot. Yes and I do have two raised beds on my concrete patio, which is almost the only full sun spot I have. But there are other advantages of them too -- makes sure you never walk on the soil and compact it. Lets you pile up good enriched soil/compost and not have it wash away again. Lets you crowd tons of plants in, because the soil is so rich. Divides the work up into very manageable tasks. ETC RainBowGardener

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h292/mikeweaver/a1.jpg[/img]

WatchMeShove

You don't have to weed raised garden beds, you could till soil and put in weed and grass killer before planting new crops, or put something up to block the wind from spreading weeds. Also, you would never make a raised planter with pressure treated lumber. Pressure treated lumber is pressure treated with chemicals which would kill plants. That is something you would learn in "gardening 101," keep pressure treated wood away from plants and crops. Raised planters are ideally made out of redwood, which lasts a long time and is strong. Did you ever wonder why none of the pre-made raised planters you buy at the store are made out of pressure treated wood? Also, you nail 2x4's at the corners of raised beds and put up bird netting so birds can never enter your growing space. You can also nail shade protection netting to roll down on hot days. Raised beds are not a hassle whatsoever.

WatchMeShove

Also, I'm sure you have heard that burning pressure treated wood is illegal, it's because the smoke from pressure treated wood is toxic and can actually cause health effects from breathing the smoke. I am not trying to be mean I just hope you aren't using pressure treated wood to build planters because I really wouldn't want you eating crops in pressure treated planters.

Binkalette

Last year was my first year having a garden. We bought our house in April and when my husband went out to see about tilling up a spot for a garden, we realized the soil is SOLID clay. We ended up excavating the clay about 1' down, and then building it up another 12" or so (it varies because our yard is a slope). We made it out of landscaping bricks, and it worked out wonderfully!

It was my first year growing anything and I was pleased to have three large pumpkins, one small one, and 12 various kinds of gourds! I didn't do anything with the chives or the rhubarb last year, I just let them get established and I guess it worked! They came back this spring!

[img]https://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l208/Binkalette/IMG_1572-1.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l208/Binkalette/IMG_1573-1.jpg[/img]

Now I've got plans for several more beds just like it. I would like to wait until we get our fence up though, I think I want to have one built in the corner of the yard in kind of a 1/4 circle thing.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”