Sparrowsbones
Newly Registered

Medicinal Herb Garden Suggestions?

Hi, I am about to move into a new house in a rural area and am in the process of planning out everything I want to grow out there.

Besides the vegetables, teas and flowers I plan to propagate, I have an extensive list of herbs I am interested in planting (teas and flowers)- and I thought it might be neat (if not somewhat reminiscent of Lewis Carroll and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland) to grow an array of mildly psychoactive herbs in my garden.

I'm not looking for anything outwardly dangerous- I don't want to grow any amminata muscaras or Liberty Caps! Think mild home remedies. I.E. Kava and Chamomile.
So far I have one packet of Scutellaria Lateriflora- Native Skullcap, which is said to make good tea to treat anxiety, insomnia, ect.

I guess its helpful to say that I live in Southern Oregon, which is USDA Zone 8a or 8b. Its cool in the winter, sometimes snow, and can get up to almost 110 in the summer. I have access to moist, shady areas (there is a spring and a creek on my property) and somewhat drier direct sunlight.

Thank you for your suggestions and ideas!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Passionflower is supposed to make a calming and relaxing tea, as does as lemon balm. Valerian is helpful for sleep. St. John's wort is a natural anti-depressant, as is gingko biloba, which also aids memory (by increasing blood flow to the brain). Ginseng, ginger (as well as the kava mentioned above) have stimulating and energy boosting effects.

I don't know which of these will grow in your climate, you will need to look them up.

applestar
Mod

I had to give up on valerian -- smells like old socks! :lol: Chamomile is much nicer. You can grow tea shrub if you're located in Zone 7 or warmer.

Technically, your tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, and peppers are all part of the nightshade family.... 8)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

PS Welcome to the forum! Good luck with the scutellaria. I have some planted under lights but I planted them 1/10 and nary a sprout so far.

Here's what the seed germination database says about it:

Scutellaria alpina, baicalensis, indica, orientalis, parvula, pontica, and velenovskyi, Sow at 20ºC (68ºF), if no germination in 3-4 wks, move to -4 to +4ºC (24-39ºF) for 2-4 wks

Scutellaria galericulata , Wash seeds several times, Sow at +4ºC (39ºF) for 6 wks, move to 16ºC (60ºF) for germ.

Scutellaria incana , Sow at Max. 5ºC (41ºF), germ. irregular, often several months

Scutellaria altissima , Sow at 20ºC (68ºF), germination slow
https://tomclothier.hort.net/page04.html#s

mine are the incana "often several months" :(

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Too bad you don't want Amminata Muscaras, you've got a great climate for them. And if not, you'll probably be able to find them in your closest forest anyways. It's a great religious mushroom, but needs to be taken seriously. (I follow Native American religous rituals for greater understanding of my own self, which sometimes require visions and help from plants)

I'd look into herbs that are better for teas and oils. Find a good Green living or Organic living book and you can find a ton of Medicinal recipies for herbs. From teas to oils. Then you can figure out which will grow in your area and go from there. One thing that comes to mind off the top of my head is the Mint family, lots of good herbs there.

You'd be surprised how many plants can be used for medicinal purposes. Even Dandelion roots, which is nothing more than a weed to most people.

applestar
Mod

a0c8c is right about Oregon being ideal for growing mushrooms. If you want mushrooms, there are always the Reishi and Maitake. Check out the [url=https://www.fungi.com]Fungi Perfecti website[/url].

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Raspberries - Leaf

Goji berry / Wolf berry

Ginger

Garlic

Valerian - Roots

Rosemary

Sage

Mint

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”