Jake L.

Growing Herbs in Zone 6B

What are some herbs that could be grown in the zone 6b? These herbs will be used for market also.

- Jake :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm in 6B also, you can grow lots of herbs here. The main one that is problematic is rosemary which is not hardy here. You can grow rosemary in containers and bring it in for the winter (where mine promptly dies, not liking the indoor environment! :( ).

Otherwise oregano, sage, tarragon, thyme, and mint are all perennial culinary herbs that do well here. Basil does fine grown as an annual. I also grow parsley, fennel, and dill as annuals started over every spring.

And I grow lavender, bee balm, lemon balm, anise hyssop, yarrow and tansy, which are medicinal/ tea herbs and perennial and all thrive here.

Jake L.

Awesome, thanks. Here would be my list so far
  • Basil
  • Cilantro
  • Mints
  • Parsely
  • Oregano
  • Sage
  • Thyme
  • Fennel
  • Dill
  • Tarragon
  • Rosemary (?)
Thanks, rainbow.

- Jake :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Rosemary in 6B is still shaky out of doors. Some say you can do the Rosemary 'Arp' with some protection, but I've never had luck (more like 6A) and neither has Mom (she's a solid 6B).

But I am typing at the kitchen table right next to mine (with a smaller one in the breezeway); takes a little special care, but you can get them through the winter indoors if you know how... RBG, try a milk spray preventatively like 5 to 1 water to milk. That browning is always almost preceeded by downy mildew (that can be very hard to see because of the plants dusty grey look (from all the oils). This can be easily missed, but easily taken care of...

Milk, it does a rosemary good... :lol:

HG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Too late to save mine this year, it got pitched to make room for the Christmas tree, since it was barely alive. But I'll try it next year...

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Try Coriander too. Will you plant them in the ground or what will you do?

Zinnia
Newly Registered

Since the advice here is great, I will comment on the marketing aspect. I am not a marketing expert but I volunteer gardening advice at several farmer's markets and my modest observations are: 1) You can't go wrong with basil, even non-gourmets know basil and want it. Experiment with smaller quantities of other varieties such as Siam, Chocolate, etc. and see how it goes 2) Offer herbs that every other grower is not offering such as summer savory and stevia and suggest ways of using it. 3) What are the current ethnic culinary trends and what herbs do they use? If you have a large ethnic population, what herbs do they use? 4) Don't under estimate the power of non-food shoppers. People who make soaps, lotions, candles, and crafts are always on the lookout for rosemary, lavendar, and chamomille and buy large quantities at a time. 5) The most important tip - Have fun growing your herbs! For us gardeners, it is the journey to the end product that provides the greatest reward.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nice post, Zinnia! Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us. Sounds like you are a serious gardener with lots of expertise; we will be looking forward to hearing more from you.

MysticGardener67

Much like your namesake, you are a wonderful addition to our little garden of gardeners.

A fe years back, when I was considering my green house, I asked a few local nursery gardencenter managers what they would recommend for maximum profit / sq ft. They all started their answers with ???Leagally?? Well DUR! Ky Gardening humor.. gotta love it.

Anyhoo, They all agreed that FRESH herbs , culinary, cosmetic, medicinal ect have a higher profit per unit value than any other single crop. I wold hazzard that Tomatos would run a tight second...legally

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Jake, your question most interesting. If this is your 1st go around growing herbs, lots of trial and error. That being both! And if you think you are going to market without the trial and error, have a challenge at best.

A suggestion I have with growing herbs is to try to keep dry feet ones together, and same for more watered. Soil suggestions are different. Also your perennial and annuals usually in different areas. (makes cultivating and planting easier).
I am going for more pots this next season, less in-ground. The rosemary in ground and one is huge, another doing well. Most others going to the pots.

Not much help here, just talking.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”