my_secret_garden
Cool Member

Suggestions for an Herb Garden

I couldn't think of where else to ask this so I thought maybe the Oragnic folks here would have some suggestions.

I used to have a couple of herb plants that got quite large and pretty. I just grew them on my fire escape in some plastic pots. :) Anyway, I was thinking about trying to grow a couple of herbs again but I am not sure how to go about it. I have a dog that is outside a lot and I want to figure out either what things are safe to have in the yard that would not harm him in case he thought he was hungry one day and decided to eat them or where I can put these herbs to keep them out of his reach but still where they can get sunshine and water. Build some kind of shelf outside for them? What kinds of things would be dangerous to have around my pup?

I used to have pennyroyal, lavender, and patchouli. I'd at least like to grow some lavender again but other than that, I am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance! :)

Grey
Greener Thumb

OK - well, I looked around but didn't find any lists of herbs that are poisonous to dogs. But as long as we're on that subject, I'll post the links to what I found on other plants. :)
https://www.cybercanine.com/toxicplants.htm
https://www.dogpatch.org/doginfo/plants.html

My dogs have never bothered my herbs. I did find a few sites with herbs that are beneficial to dogs, mostly distilled into liquid form, but still interesting:
https://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/herbs.htm

That said, I've studied medicinal herbs some and ANY herb taken in high doses can make you sick, and some will kill you. I've known puppies to chew on plants (and some large puppies to make rings around big palm trees with their teeth) but usually, unless the dog is a major chewer (I'm also a stray dog magnet - one stray got awarded the name "Chewbacca") it shouldn't be anything to stress over.

EDIT: oh yeah, lavender.... mmmmmmmmmmm

LondonGardener

I have many herbs planted in my garden and for the most part my dog stays faaarrrr away from them. They're so highly scented that I don't think it appeals to dogs. My dog would rather a stick or bone or something. He's never touched my herbs.

He has, however, dug up my hyacinth bulbs. :evil:

my_secret_garden
Cool Member

Well my dog has never done anything besides pee on my flowers and occasionally he'll sniff at bed plants when I bring them home but other than that he doesn't do much to them. He's not a chewer at all. I just don't want to have him getting into anything. I will check out those links that you posted. Thanks so much for the help!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

To my knowledge no culinary herbs are toxic to mammals. You might want to be careful with Rue though, it can apparently cause a nasty rash on both humans and I'm guessing probably dogs and cats.

EcoVogue
Newly Registered

Oh I'm so glad to see this post I've been wondering about this. I've heard that pennyroyal is great for planting in the yard to keep fleas and ticks away but I've always thought pennyroyal was toxic... and I wouldn't want my pup and kitty getting into anything that would hurt them.

cwestcot

I will say this, after reading everyones posts I have come to the conculision that my dogs are nuts. They love to chew on my rosemary bushes. Just the other day I let them out and after doing their buisness they walked over the the bush and started nibbling. Who can blame them though, rosemary smells great and has a unique taste. I honestly thought I had problems with some kind of rodent.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

My father's dog eats apples right off the tree! Funniest thing I've ever seen.

(She also digs tunnels in the snow and runs through them for fun!)

I love that dog.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”