Susan W
Greener Thumb

French lavender

How have any of you done with French lavender Lavandula dentata? I tried again, putting 2 healthy starts in a pot on the deck (sun, well drained etc).(put in last spring) Plants are very healthy and growing, but flowers...nada. Well, I now have 2 buds, and frost is rearing its ugly head in the next 1 -3 weeks.
The pot is just too big to bring in, and not enough light for the essential ones migrating in.
BTW, I am in zone 7, and I don't see this wintering.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I haven't grown it, only the English, but the French lavender is reputed to be hardy to zone 7. I found this:

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/78260/

PlantFiles: Toothed Lavender, French Lavender
Lavandula dentata var. candicans

There are two forms of Lavandula dentata, this one and L. dentata var. dentata. Lavandula dentata var. candicans is the larger growing and hardier of the two. It is upright growing and of bushy habit, making an excellent hedge in milder areas.
The stems are distinctly silvery making a very attractive plant which will flower for most of the year, with short rest periods.

Says it is evergreen and blooms all year. Sounds nice!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for info Rainbow. I think I am in an iffy zone for it, and also depends on this season's weather (duh!). I will pull it up next to the house before a real frost. That is on the deck, south exposure. It is sheltered from wind etc, so may make it.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”