rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

drying herbs

Fall is herb drying season! I'm currently up to 17 jars in sizes ranging from regular spice jars to pints.. bee balm, anise hyssop, lavender, lemon balm, mint, oregano, sage, basil. Basil did well this year, I have three spice jars full, 8 dinners of pesto in the freezer, and one live plant I brought in to see how it will do indoors this winter...

Still have more sage, lavender, lemon balm, plus some yarrow drying in my laundry room...

Love herbs!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Rainbow, I am impressed!
Thanks for sharing, and an inspiration for some of us.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I just hung my parsley to dry like all the rest. I haven't actually tasted it, but when I was cleaning the leaves off the stems. it smelled quite parsley-ish.

English Rose

I don't think parsley ever dries well.
I freeze mine in ice-cube trays. Okay for use in cooking.

I grow herbs on my windowsills inside in winter.

His_Einna

Unfortunately for me, I didn't get the change to dry much :-( Just some rose hips and some nettle. But ho hum; I have the space and time to do more next year, and hopefully I'll have an actual herb garden to pick from then, lol.

His_Einna

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

We dry parsley in our electric dehydrator. It definitely tastes like parsley.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

We dry some basil, we freeze some; different tastes for different things...

I like just hanging an drying, did my mountain mint that way, some sage. Borrowed a drying unit and did some things that way too and I like it but it is limiting and can overdry if you are not careful (really toasted some sage).

But it made the best rosemary I've done to date... :D

HG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I now have an electric dehydrator, but haven't used it. I inherited it (literally, from a deceased friend) after the season was over.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/aba019.jpg[/img]

The left one is Rosemary. Second to the left one is Sage. The three on the right are all different mint varieties. Sage and mint are my favorite for tea.
A very healthy tea for you, sage is a great phytoestrogen source and helps to control hot flashes, calm the nerves and improve memory as well as helps liver and kindey reduces fever, improves circulation.

I boil water then reduce to simmer and add a bit of honey and some sage and teabags or mint and teaspoon or less of rose water to 4 or 5 cups. stir and let simmer for 10 mins. finest tea but maybe an aquired taste.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”