jasonbudden
Newly Registered

Help - Mint leaves going black

Hello!

I've recently started an indoor herb / veggie grow using CFL lighting.

All was well, and still is - except my little mint plant!

It was starting to get a little big so I decided to do some grooming, topping above the node and decided to replant the cutting.

It was recommended to me to use a solution of 1:1 Water:Sugar and water it into the soil to stimulate the cutting to root - I think this was a bad idea!

One by one the leaves are starting to go black.

I've flushed the plant, what should I do?

[img]https://www.sifomg.net/uploadimg/1255966976.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not sure, but since no one has spoken up, I'll take a run at it. My mint gets looking like that later in the season sometimes. I'm guessing it's something fungal. Probably yours being a little stressed was vulnerable. Plants have immune systems too, the healthier and stronger the plant, the better it fights off any kind of pest/problem. Anyway, I've never done anything about the condition. Mint is very hardy and because some of the leaves turn a little black like that, doesn't usually bother the plant very much.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I concur, looks like a fungal infection but, I wouldn't be to concerned. I had that happen to my mint before and it hasn't bothered the plant to much at all. What you can do to help the plants along is spray it with an aerated compost tea.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Howdy!

1:1 water/sugar may have been the problem, not sure but that mix is way high. I researched what to put in some flowers for my wife (anniversary thing)a few month's back. I couldn't remember what the exact proportions were but I knew it wasn't that. So I did the research again I was thinking a tbl per gallon but today I saw it was a tsp or 2 per gallon. 1:1 might have been very overpowering, I'm not a biologist but just a thought.

Google "sugar water fertilizer"

Good luck, and as said above I hear that mint is hard to kill so try again. I'm going to try some next year in a pot of course.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

:o Your mint is fine. Much better than mine.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”