love2cook
Newly Registered

Thai Basil Tips ?

Anyone have some tips for Thai Basil. I seem to have allot of trouble here in Colorado with it. :?:

Grey
Greener Thumb

I've never grown Thai Basil - but most basil likes full sun & moderately moist soil (well drained, not wet). Cuttings often don't survive easily - are you trying from seed?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

The only tips that I have for basil is to keep it in a warm area with a lot of sun. The only luck that I (or anyone I know) have had is growing basil in a greenhouse. And when I do this, it grows like you wouldn't believe.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Ah - I tend to not realize how much cooler your nights must be in Colorado, or New England...

What about a cold frame? Would that keep it warm enough at night maybe, and open the frame during the hot part of the day?

love2cook
Newly Registered

Grey wrote:Ah - I tend to not realize how much cooler your nights must be in Colorado, or New England...

What about a cold frame? Would that keep it warm enough at night maybe, and open the frame during the hot part of the day?
Sorry all, I should be more specific. I have this plant indoors at the moment, too cold at night for outdoors this time of year, where it recieves direct sun until noon. I bought this herb from as an established plant from a local greenhouse. The nights are still in the 40's here and I have heard you want at least 50's in the evening. I have done well with Genovese here, but it is the Thai that gives me the most trouble.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

The secret to growing great basil is allowing the dirt to go dry before watering the basil. If the soil is kept to moist, then the basil will develop root rot. Now, I'm not telling you to starve your plant of water, but, allow the soil to dry out a little before watering. That might be your problem.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”