LittleMama

My Herb Pot has guests.......

FLIES! Tiny little flies that are infesting the pot. I have a three level herb stacker. I grew the seedlings in pellets, then transplanted outdoors with potting soil I keep in my shed. Then brought it right inside. Could the flies have laid eggs in the potting soil? And how do I get rid of them? I tried keeping them outside for the last few days, but the bugs are still there and they are starting to wilt from the cold.

What to do?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's difficult to say without a photo, but my guess would be that the flies are aphids. Since these are plants intended to be eaten, my solution would be to simply wash them off with a gentle stream of water. I would do it outdoors.

Another option would be to spray the plants with a solution of soap and water. Be sure to carefully read the label on the "soap" you intend to use, because many products, such as 'dish soap', are actually detergents, which can harm your plants. (I buy Dr. Bronner''s liquid soap for this purpose.) Use 1 tsp of soap to a quart of water.

Whether you rinse the flies off with water or spray with the soap solution, the treatment will need to be repeated every 5 to 7 days. Do about 4 or 5 treatments. That will kill any new flies that hatch from eggs.

Another possibility is that they are fungus gnats, but they live in very moist soil. I doubt they would have developed so quickly. They wouldn't have been present in soil that was stored in a dry place.

Other members may have other suggestions for you. :)

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”