Nocturna
Newly Registered

Full Harvest?

Hello everyone :)

Okay, so I've grown herbs for the first time ever this year. I have Basil (which hasn't done too well), Chamomile, peppermint, spearmint, Lemon Verbena, and Catnip. I've been doing a continual harvest through the summer (taking a bit, letting more grow, etc), but now that fall is nearly here...do I do a "full harvest"? As in, cut them down to the ground? If so, when? We have a bit more warm weather on the way, but it'll end soon. I'm guessing I should take what I can before it gets too cold? As said, this is my first time growing herbs, so I'm still learning.

I'm from western washington.

Thanks!
Joe.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Joe, from my experience (and climate) you have several things going on. The basil will be gone with the first cold, doesn't even need frost. Just pull it out and dispose. Chamomile iffy. At least put a marker in the place. Mints are fine. I leave my lemon verbena stalks until spring, then cut back. If you cut now make sure you mark as it is a late starter, if at all. For markers I use plastic picnic knives. I don't write on them, just try to recall what may be coming back in that space!

Hope this helps!

Wannabee

quote] For markers I use plastic picnic knives. I don't write on them, just try to recall what may be coming back in that space![/quote]
Hope this helps![/quote]

That's a good idea... except I'll have to write on it to remember... will magic markers last through winter?

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”