TimandElaine
Newly Registered

How to Treat Lemon Verbena for Mildew?

Hi everyone! we are new ro the forum and also herb growing.
After lots of early disasters we have now managed to take cuttings of lavender, rosemary and lemon verbena. Now to our horror after looking so well and healthy the lemon verbena has now developed mildew. There is also a few brownish leaves. We have fed the plants with a 'tonic' as they are looking a little run down!
Any advice would be useful
Regards Elaine :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi and welcome to the forum! Try typing powdery mildew in the search box in upper left of most pages. You will find there's been a lot written about it.

In the meantime the two commonest remedies we've been suggesting
are a spray of diluted milk (anywhere from 1:10 to 50:50) and a baking soda spray.

For the milk spray, what I've been doing is putting a tablespoon or so of yoghurt with active cultures into a cup of milk and letting it stand for a few hours at room temp to make sure there's active lactobacillus. Then dilute it with 1-2 cups of water and spray, being sure to get the tops and undersides of all leaves.

1 tablespoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of liquid soap
1 gallon of water

Being a very rainy wet season where I am, I've had occasion to try both of them. For me the milk spray worked better, but it wasn't a controlled experiment, I used them on different plants in different circumstances...

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”