gpanyam
Newly Registered

Tips on growing Curry Leaf plant

I recently bought a curry leaf plant from a local store (in San Jose, CA) paying a fancy price of $25 for a 6 in plant. Any tips on growing this are welcome - tips like watering, light etc. I just want to make sure that the plant grows and stays healthy.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You do realize that what you've bought is a tree, right? The dwarf type can be grown in a container of 1 to 3 feet in diameter, but the full-sized type will become quite large, about 25 to 30 feet tall.

They need full sun, but cannot withstand temperatures below about 55º F. They don't like to be in wet soil, so be sure you use a fast-draining planter mix when you repot yours. If you have the full-sized type, be sure you plant it in a well-drained place in your yard. :)

rodeves
Newly Registered

gpanyam wrote:I recently bought a curry leaf plant from a local store (in San Jose, CA) paying a fancy price of $25 for a 6 in plant. Any tips on growing this are welcome - tips like watering, light etc. I just want to make sure that the plant grows and stays healthy.
Hi there,

Here's some tips on growing a curry leaf plant. In this brief video I share about how to take care of your curry leaf plant. I talk about organic fertilizer, water, pruning and weather conditions - https://youtu.be/5DnsGoeKF5Y

All the best.

Rodney

imafan26
Mod

It is a tree or a shrub. It is not a big tree, but it can get 15-30 ft if you let it. I head mine off every year. I just cut mine again last week. It was about 10 ft tall.

You can grow it in a big pot. The more you cut it the more it will look like a bush and less like a tree. The one we have in the garden usually gets chopped down to the ground and then it grows back. I do not want it to seed so I like to head it off when it starts to make berries.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”