fiffy0717
Newly Registered

What's the difference between these 2 mint plants?

I have planted these 2 plants. I know they are both mint but have no clue what's the difference between them? And what can I do with them? Mint tea? And what else?

mint1:
[img]https://www.zeppinracing.com/angela/DSCN6459.JPG[/img]

mint2:
[img]https://www.zeppinracing.com/angela/DSCN6458.JPG[/img]
Last edited by fiffy0717 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

Try again (or just click the EDIT button on your post and fix), what you have there are two identical photos DSCN6459.JPG.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Is this a trick question re the photos? :)

Generally uses for mint as well as lovely tea is flavoring all kinds of things, mint sprigs in your lemonade, mint sprigs in your mojitos and mint juleps :), mint jelly, etc Freeze some leaves into ice cubes as a convenient way to add it to drinks. Mint flavor desserts

Mint has medicinal qualities, especially in aiding digestion (there is a reason for the tradition of the after dinner mint). It is used in toothpaste and mouthwash because it is a good breath freshener and helpful against gingivitis. You can get the same effects just by chewing the leaves.

It is insect repellant. I always put some in my home made insect repellant spray, but it's good for tucking in cupboards etc to keep insects and mice away.

Put some in an old nylon stocking and run your bath water through it for a refreshing bath.

SP8
Green Thumb

Nice one :lol:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Ummm ... are we looking for Waldo here? :lol: :lol: :lol:

fiffy0717
Newly Registered

Sorry, I've posted 2 identical pictures. It's now corrected. :roll:

applestar
Mod

OK :wink: So, the first one looks like peppermint (dark purple stems, roundish leaves) and the second one looks like spearmint (more shield shaped and strongly serrated leaves). The first one could be a Chocolate mint as well -- sorry can't smell it from here.... :>

fiffy0717
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:OK :wink: So, the first one looks like peppermint (dark purple stems, roundish leaves) and the second one looks like spearmint (more shield shaped and strongly serrated leaves). The first one could be a Chocolate mint as well -- sorry can't smell it from here.... :>
Can they be differentiate by smell? Peppermint has a stronger minty smell than spearmint.

Which can be used for mint tea?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Any of them can be used for mint tea... peppermint tea, spearmint tea, etc.

sweet thunder

The first one looks a little like catnip to me. Do you have any cats that could test it for you?

applestar
Mod

Catnip is (appropriately) furry with a downy kind of fuzz -- soft to the touch and great hit along with lambs ears for Touch/Feel, Smell, and ID game with the kids. :wink:

cw

mint and raisin pasties,mint and boiled new potatoes,mint sauce,I love cooking with fresh mint.I think its good for your digestion much like basil.Mint soap,course you could just pick some and pop it in your pocket to sniff through out the day.I just started some orange mint in the spring,smells really Orange like, great with home made lemonade,just fill up a jug with cold water ,quite a few sprigs of mint,let it sit in the fridge for an hour ,remove the mint and go on and make the lemonade with the mint water,just gives the lemonade that little extra some thing.

lilypotter
Newly Registered

I really don't know or have any idea if both the attached pictures are mint. But with mint leaves we can do many things including mint tea. Here is the list of items that I do with mint leaves:

Mint juleps - an old Southern American summer drink (alcoholic!)

Sun Tea - make sun tea as usual but add a couple of sprigs, taken straight off the plant and put in the jug when you add the tea bags.

Take little baby mint leaves and put them in ice cube trays, top with water. You can add these minty ice cubes to lemonade or sun tea.

Mint-scented sugars -- get sealable jars and layer 2 inches of white sugar with one solid layer of mint leaves. Repeat until you get to the top of the jar. Screw lid on tight and put in a dark cabinet for a few weeks. Check to see if the sugar has absorbed the mint flavor. When ready, sift out mint leaves, rebottle into pretty jars/containers, add a few mint sprigs on top and give as gifts. You can also do this with Lavender which is also beautiful!

Do the same as above with bath salts -- Mix 5 cups of Epsom Salts with 2 cups baking soda. Layer with mint leaves. Give as is, so put it in pretty containers to begin with. Directions are to add 1-1/2 cups to warm bath to sooth aches and pains.

Mint leaves can be dried to use in teas for winter. Cut off stalks and gently strip leaves. Lay on an old window screen in the shade, but out of the rain, to dry. Should be dry in a couple of days. Store in air-tight containers. If it isn't completely dry and you put into containers anyways, they will mold, so make sure some of it is a bit crumbly first.

Dried mint can also be used to keep ants and bugs out of cabinets. Sprinkle dried mint along doorways and inside cabinet corners. Refresh as needed.

I don't usually use Mint as a fragrance in the home as it smells too medicinal for most people.

And you can always go to Allreciepes.com to find more mint reciepes.

And, cut off stalks, root them and give to friends and family or sell in little pots at garage sales or donate to garden clubs to sell for fundraisers.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have planted both of those the only thing I know for sure is, Mint 1 is a much stronger smelling mint.

fiffy0717
Newly Registered

sweet thunder wrote:The first one looks a little like catnip to me. Do you have any cats that could test it for you?
I do not have any cats. Not sure what catnip will smell like as I've never planted any, but both plants smell quite minty. Hence, I'm pretty sure they are both mint plants.

applestar
Mod

Toni at the [url=https://busybeefarm.org/]Busy Bee Farm[/url] (She sells lavender-infused honey to die for! Yesterday, DD7 had some drizzled over her freshly picked -- just went peach picking -- peaches and plain yogurt) told me that flavor of mints get bitter after they flower so keep harvesting to forestall flowering. (Her Applemint-infused honey is terrific too -- GREAT for flavoring iced tea)

That said, I LOVE mint flowers -- as garnish and for drawing ALL KINDS of beneficial insects as well as bee/wasp/butterfly activity. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yes, I always let some of my mint and oregano flower for the bees and butterflies it draws

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”