LittleMama

Chamomile and Lemon Balm

I planted Chamomile and Lemon Balm in the same pot.... did I mess up? I'm reading that they like different environments. It seemed that they started to sprout and then stopped. Not sure if I did something wrong.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I would guess wrong combination just from growing styles. Hopefully someone will correct me if wrong.
I have tried chamomile a couple of times. I said tried. May give it a go next spring. Lemon balm likes itself. It needs a dedicated space/pot. I am sure it winters where you are, and just give it a dedicated largish pot. We don't have heavy freeze, but the temp variation can be hard on stuff in smaller pots. Well getting to 10, below that is cold!
Hope this helps!

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

if they did both come up, I'd definitely be concerned about the lemon balm outcompeting the chamomile...

I've had pretty good luck with chamomile the last few years (only various annual varieties, not the 'roman' perennial)...such a tiny seed that it takes a while to take off, I think it's one that I always germinate in the '6 weeks before last frost' group...got nearly a quart of dried flowers so far this year. this year has proved to me that chamomile's a good companion for set-grown onion...

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”