Susan W
Greener Thumb

Basil, again....

This may have been covered, but have any of you started basil from cuttings?
I figured I should get a couple of basil starts to pot up for taking inside come October. Was at Lowes, this one has a good garden center. The lady said the herbs were gone, but did suggest the cuttings (put in water, see roots, then pot).

gatormike14
Newly Registered

I just cut mine and stick them in the soil works almost every time

Susan W
Greener Thumb

An update here, and perhaps helpful info for others. The basil cuttings I have in a glass of water on the counter are sending out little roots. I think I have enough of a sunny window space to winter a couple of (small) pots inside.

pharmerphil

:D congrats...always nice when a plan works out, I have always done that in the fall, bring a few cuttings in, put them in water, then pot them up...we don't have many good well lit windows, but basil and rosemary always have a reserved spot for the winter :lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes basil very easy to grow like that. I had one in my garden once that took years to get rid of. :shock:

Oh and not that you need it but I bet if check back at Lowe's they have basil as well a s few other cool weather crops. Mine just got theirs in last weekend.

Dono

Ted M
Newly Registered

Thank you for the heads up on the cuttings. New to Herbs.

Susan W, I noticed alot of herbs still in the big box stores in my area, then again its still 85 degrees here every day.

Hard one to find in my area is Chives...

TFA303

If I've let it start to flower, can I still sprout from cuttings?

promethean_spark

Chives are easy to start from seed, then once you've got them - you've got them. They just live in the same spot for years.

I often root grocery store basil in the spring. Buy some, pluck off the big leaves and eat them, then root the stems.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Update here. I finally potted 4 cuttings (2 purple, 2 green), and in another pot 2 new starts I got from the box store. The cuttings (were water rooted) don't have the pretty new round leaves, but more lance shaped. I will leave the pots outside for awhile. Has dipped to the 50's, just barely. Basil gets shivery in the 40's.
Where I plan to put it inside has good, but not great window light.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”