SusieQ
Newly Registered

Questions about growing herbs

Hi. I am a first time gardener. I planted my herbs (dill, parsley, leeks and basil) in pots on my deck and in the ground. I have oregano in the ground and tarragon in the pot. (In general, the herbs in the pots seem to be doing much better than the herbs in the ground. I am in NJ and it rained all through June.

My dill grew great in the pot. It grew to over 3 feet tall and then started to flower. The garden center told me to trim the stalks that were flowering all the way down. They told me that the dill would come back. I trimmed the stalks all the way down. Did I just kill the dill? Will it come back.

The dill in the ground doesn't seem to be doing as well as the dill in the pot. I have it next to some leeks and basil. The basil in the pot is doing better than the basil in the ground.

I am not sure what is going on with the leeks.

In the ground garden, I have tomatoes, zuchinni, cukes, and eggplant.

Do certain herbs grow better around certain vegetables?

Any guidance on growing herbs will be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Sue :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm no expert but I would guess too much water\rain. Are your containers somewhat sheltered from the rain? Even if they aren't they drain a WHOLE lot faster than a ground based garden, unless you have flawless soil with excellent drainage which (No offense) I doubt you have. I would take a long time get the ground to same consistency as potting soil.

I don't know how much rain we have this year but it was friggin LOT. I believe that has somewhat hampered my garden, It total shut down my boss's garden. Too much water can lead to many different probs.

Good luck maybe some else has some ideas to add.

Dono

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”