want2garden
Newly Registered

Is it too late to plant?

I had a flower pot on the ledge of my balcony. Unfortunately, I had planted flowers that weren't right for the sun conditions in that spot, and the last of them finally just died.

I'm now thinking I would like to use this box to plant some herbs (thinking of dill, basil, parsley), mainly because I'm so sick of spending money on these frequently used items just to use a couple of tablespoons and throw the rest away.

I live in North Carolina, and as I've never done any sort of gardening before, I'm wondering if it's too late in the year to plant these herbs.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My daughter lives in Greensboro and they have a very nice farmer's market there. Herbs are still readily available there as well at Lowes and other big box stores. It may be best to buy a small collection of herbs that are already of good size. The parsley will over winter outside, and the basil can be taken inside in the late fall if you have a sunny window, especially if you give it some supplemental light. Thyme, oregano, mint and some others will overwinter just fine outside in a box.

want2garden
Newly Registered

Thanks!

I'm going to stop at the garden center and/or Lowes tomorrow after work and see what I can find!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Many places have their plants on sale now, seeds are on sale too. I am going shopping myself today for herbs, I plan to buy anything I can use that is dirt cheap, like oregano. I wish I could buy Cumin and Chili powder I use a lot of that.

I planted chili pepper seeds several times this year, the weather has been so weird most seeds did not grow but the ones that did grow died.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”