Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Dried Carrot tops as an Herb.

I put some of my carrot tops in my solar dehydrato then I ground them in my herb grinder. It sure does smell good. I am going to make a place in my spice rack for this. It smells and taste different than any herb I have. I put some in tomato soup it was very good. I tried it in Meat Loaf and on Chicken they were both good too. I mixed it into India homemade flat bread and it added a nice aroma and flavor to the bread. I did a few experements just to check it out.

Has anyone every used carrot tops as an herb?

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

That is fabulous and creative! I haven't eaten any, but carrot tops are an essential food for my rabbit--she loves spicy food!

applestar
Mod

I've been using them fresh and chopped as substitute for parsley. They taste carrot-y, not the same as parsley at all, but works well for the green color garnish, are actually darker green -- I.e. probably more nutritious -- than parsley, and I actually like the flavor better in some cases. Good idea to dry them.

ronthompson
Newly Registered

apparently you can smoke them and they get you highish, has anyone tried this?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Ignoring the smoking, it is a nice idea about using the carrot tops. I hadn't thought about that, but they are in the same family with parsley and dill, which we use the leaves of.

The more I find out about all the weeds and leaves and flowers that are edible, the more I think my little city lot could probably feed me all through the growing season, if I worked at it and used everything. I'd starve to death in winter though. What I could put by would not be enough to get me through. There's a reason why February is the Hunger Moon!

Cola82
Green Thumb

Haha, well that took a turn.

I'm glad to know the tops of carrots are edible. I've been wondering that myself for a while--always feels like such a waste to toss them.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”