siren1024

Cilantro rotting away?

I have several herbs that have been doing quite well, but my cilantro is nearly none for. I noticed that because of its tendency to curl over on itself, it was getting slimy around the bottom. I had 4 thick woody stalks that were producing prolifically. Around the time I noticed the problem, I trimmed all the undergrowth away and anything that was gross or slimy. eventually, one of the stalks died completely, and looked rotted down to the stem, and I removed it easily. The next one had some new growth on it, so I left it alone since it was open to the air now, but by yesterday, it was rotted away too. The other two have grown straight up and are flowering. I have been afraid to cut them for fear I will cut them wrong, but they are tall and thin. Nothing seems to be respreading in the container like they did initially. What am I doing wrong? Would it do better in the ground with more room to spread and get air and sun, or will it always tangle over itself? How do I cut it properly to prevent the rot and encourage new growth? My parsley is still doing great.

siren1024

I just read an article that said that cilantro needs to be replanted at regular intervals. Basically when the plant has begun to flower it has reached it's peak flavor and spreading time and must be completely harvested? Does this ring a bell? I had no idea. It seems like my parsley and basil will always grow back after being cut away, so I assumed it would be the same for the cilantro. Anyone know? It has been about a month since I planted it, and I have had several good sized cuttings taken from it. The plant actually does seem spent, just the tall, thin, flowering parts remain. Is that true?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

yup. if they've flowered, you're on to producing coriander, not cilantro. reseed regularly.

Gerrie

I've had the same problem, it's not just that the plant has matured and gone to seed, but it's rottted at the bottom and falling out of the ground like its been eaten or rotted.

ChefRob

get slow bolting cilantro, such as cilantro santo, which takes forever to go to seed. if your cilantro develops buds that will produce flowers, cut them off. if the seeds fall in your soil, you'll notice cilantro sprouting up everywhere that will go to seed very quickly, especially if its a hot and humid environment. cilantro leaves, and herbs in general, last longer in temps under 75 F and in arid conditions.

most cilantro on the market (90%) is grown for its seed (coriander). cilantro santo is in that other 10% where the leaves are more abundant.

Gerrie

Thank You, thank you! I just planted some cilantro from seed, need to see if I still have the packet, but the weather should cool down soon and that may help it last longer. I'll be sure to pinch off any flowers, I do that with basil, don't know why I never thought to do it with cilantro :oops:

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”